6.8 Western Reamed to 270 WSM ?

choprzrul

Just wanting to get opinions on whether this could be done relatively easily. Mainly for increased case volume and better quality brass being made in 300 WSM that can be necked down....along with 270 WSM barrels are 1:10" twist and won't stabilize a 126gr Hammer Hunter and most Hammers heavier than that.

Will it end up with a Weatherby type of jump to the rifling? Or, as the 270 WSM reamer moves the shoulder further out, I suppose the case mouth will get closer to where the 6.8 Western reamer already has the lead??

Rifle I'm looking at is the Browning X-Bolt Pro in 6.8 Western with the 1:7.5" twist barrel.

6.8 Western drawing:
68 West.JPG

270 WSM drawing:
270 WSM.JPG

I'm no machinist....does any of this make sense??

Do you want a 270 WSM fast twist? I seem to have read that other folks have done that.

And with the x-bolt you'll be limited in cartridge overall length by the magazine. At 2.88" COAL my 6.8 western gives me 3035 ft./s with 156 grain hammer Hunter and Ramshot and Magnum powder.

If you want more powder capacity in a 6.8 Western maybe you can be the first to order up a6.8 Western Ackley improved? That would be a fun project.

yes, it would be easy for a smith to rechamber to .270 wsm. Looking at the drawings you posted the wsm is 80 thousandths longer so you won't have any issue. My concern is the overall expense, once you buy a $2,300 rifle and they pay to get the chamber you want your getting close to a budget full custom and that way you can get everything you want!!!!

if you like the Browning rifle and your concerned about brass quality for the 6.8w, you can fireform high quality saum brass in the 6.8 chamber and that gives you options to use ADG or Bertrum brass.
if you want a fast twist 270 wsm just build one on a medium or long action, but to be honest the difference between the two is so small as far as accuracy/velocity node it might not be worth it.