6.5x284

I'm not saying he can't do; I see some of the shooting done by dedicated smallbore and air rifle shooters, who while shooting shorter distances are shooting in extremely demanding venues and devote an awful lot of time and energy and self-awareness into doing their very best, and the results show. Most of these people already had some sort of 'knack' or natural ability, once honed and tuned, it results in an almost super-human talent for shooting that tends to mystify most 'normal' shooters, such as myself who work hard... a lot, but not all, the time, concentrate fully on what we are doing... most of the time, etc.

My question is simply, why not compete? I know some people are turned off by some of the attitudes that show up there, others don't like the pressure of playing by other people's rules not necessarily in their favor, etc. Simple curiosity. Why not shoot F-Class and help out the U.S.A team?

That, and 1250 miles is a long way to drive to say I seen a guy hit a golf ball w/ a rifle... even at 1K.
wink.gif

Monte

[ 09-03-2004: Message edited by: milanuk ]

Milanuk, IF, is a bad word, it implies bull ****, as stated before, BULL SHITTERS AND LIARS, are scum bags, so are **** stirrers.

Wish I had time to commit to competitive shooting, with my work schedule and family I don't have the time, would be hoot

So Froggy.....Whats the bet???? Lets try and frame this a little more specifically.

If we set up 30 golf balls in plain view at 1000 yards under average or better conditions, HOW MANY CAN YOU HIT OUT OF 30 TO TAKE THE MONEY??? You and your buds did use the word 'CONSISTENTLY' Lets try and convert that word to a ratio or percentage, and get on with the cash flow issues.
grin.gif

You say you are a no BS kind of guy....NO BS ....

WHATS THE NUMBER? How many out of 30 shots???

[ 09-03-2004: Message edited by: S1 ]

W.........."When I say exceptionally, I mean golf balls at 1000 yards – repeatedly. (NO EXAGERATION)"

I will be happy to take your money too, provided you have big enough "Golf Balls" to define "repeatedly" with a real number.

It is a simple question.....How many out of thirty?
grin.gif

I used to have a golf ball like that. I hit it every time at 1000 yards. But then I blew it all to hell. I haven't been able to find another one like it.
frown.gif
frown.gif

We usually put out one or two, 30??????? S1 to answer your question I've hit a golf balls 3 times consecutively at 984yds then went onto the pop cans cause the ball is gone.

30 balls lined up I'lle put money on 3 on a good day 5.

See the golf ball in the image, the plate is 18x18 ins whats the range, hit that one 3 times consecutively.

No!! the 2 big white blobs are not the golf ball, that's the sun refraction.....lol Stevie wonder can hit those.
grin.gif

27732382-ddfa-02000180-.jpg

[ 09-03-2004: Message edited by: Froggy ]

W and Froggy

I am somewhat of a bullshitter myself but listening to you two has humbled me. Whether or not you can hit golf balls or shoot zeroes is immaterial at this point. You guys are the greatest!

To put things into perspective, I went through the match report for the 2002 NBRSA 1000 Yard National Championships held at Sacramento CA. These are some of the best shooters in the world. 90 record shots for both group and score.

The winner of the score competition had a grand total of 6 Xs. The X ring is 3" in diameter. He hit a 3" circle once in every 15 shots.

The most Xs fired by any competitor was 9, fired by a High Master Palma shooter. That's one every 10 shots.

[ 09-03-2004: Message edited by: Cheechako ]

Cheechako: Don't pull me into this… It takes me about six to ten rounds with a cold/cool barrel to hit the golf balls, perhaps half that to hit the water ration cans. But I will tell you this:

1) Froggy should be competing and was recruited by an Olympics Scout to shoot in the 1984 (?) Olympics. It did not happen; as he apparently did not have the time or funds available.

2) I have been shooting for 38 years – I teach it, and authored a book designed specifically for the hunter who has been shooting for thirty+ years but does not have the knowledge or confidence to take a six hundred yard shot. Pathetic? Many pro's might think so; because all the hunter really needs is a little more information, just a little more knowledge to bring his/her skill level up; woman make for The Best Shooters on the Planet.

Now, I say knowledge because there are people that know how to shoot, and there are people that really know how to shoot. They know about internal and external ballistics… What makes a tuned pet load and how it affects the harmonics of their barrel and a whole lot more; A WHOLE LOT MORE. Once upon a time Mr. David Tubbs taught me something about sunlight that I hadn't put together. That was that when the sun is behind you, the bullet will impact low; to your right and poi is left; left and the poi will hit right; and as much as ½ inch. This is basic stuff that I just didn't have a hold on for years. Well, learning never stops and neither does the BS. But I will tell you this, Froggy is not a guy that is full of BS, nor does he deserve to be slammed. He may be a bit boastful at times, mostly in jest, but he is a great guy, a Vietnam Vet, and someone who knows technically and instinctively how to really shoot. Challenging him is one thing, and if you are not a Pro Shooter who hasn't already shrugged your shoulders and dismissed yourself from this string, and have the cojones, I dare you to. BTW, the 6.5 x 284 that George Gardner re-cut and chambered for him is one of The Best shooting rifles I have seen.

This last year a new 1000 yard
Record was shot with a .300 win mag using Berger VLD 210's that measured 1.4 inches; (everyone knows this...) a Five shot (?) Ten shot (?) string. That's a golfball Every round. I geuss that's the true definition of "Consistency."

S1: I am not a competitor - so you will not have the thrill of releiving me of my money. But I will have the thrill of watching Froggy kick your ***. So, as you so stated, step on up to the plate and "compete."

[ 09-03-2004: Message edited by: W ]

[ 09-03-2004: Message edited by: W ]

WELL NOW!.....That does seem to clear things up a bit. 5 out of 30 is still fine shooting. Not quite W's claim of 'consistently' in my dictionary, but I can see why he might be impressed. We have ten gunsmiths at our club that can build sub 1/4 moa rifles, glad you found yourself one.
shocked.gif
Most of the smiths here will shoot them better than 1/4 moa on a nice day too. Half of those old boys could not see a golf ball through their scopes at 1,000 yards, ( the eyes just are'nt as good as they use to be).

W.....You need to come to Missouri and get a reality check 'boy'.

Fact is. I do compete. And if I recall, I won the last two out of three competitions I entered. Thats a matter of record. Seems to me their were at least 5 Mathews built guns in the competitions too. Fact is, When there are few A.R. Tactical built guns competing against a bunch of Mathews built stuff, the old 30 Wolf smokes them.
Now maybe you would be kind enough to sponsor Froggy to come to Missouri and show us all how to shoot??? We have wives and kids too, and work just like every one else. Bring it on Sweet pea.

P.S. Seems to me you owe .308win an apology, 3 out of 30....maybe 5???? Get real!

[ 09-03-2004: Message edited by: S1 ]

S1: I have grossly misjudged your character and gave you credibility where none was deserved. You are not my kind, not invited into my circle of friends and no further contact is desired. Get a clue.

Froggy, would you be able to post that pic taken throught your scope again, only this time can you highlight/ circle or somthing the golf ball. Cuz I can't see it
blush.gif
confused.gif

Thanks Wombat

W - I think we have about run this thread into the ground. But I have to respond to your post to me.

I shot in my first competition in 1955.(Yes, I am old) I have competed in just about every shooting discipline known except for shotgun. I held a Master classification in both indoor and outdoor pistol and Master in NRA Highpower. Because of my age and eyesight I have competed only in benchrest for the last 15 years. I currently shoot both point-blank and long range benchrest. At the 2002 National Championships that I mentioned I finished 2nd in both score and group, two gun, 12 target. There is no single National Champion trophy awarded in NBRSA competition but if there were I had sufficient points to win it.

I'm not boasting about what I have done. Only to let you know that I, too, know a little about shooting.

I'm aware of those small groups shot at 1000 yards. The smallest NBRSA group (5 shots) is even smaller at 1.473 inches. And yes, that would have hit a golf ball every shot. However, keep in mind two things. First this not every day shooting, or even every year. It's a once in a lifetime thing. The six target aggregate record stands at 4.7967 inches. Second, there is no evidence that the small group was anywhere near the X ring so it may well be that none of those shots would have hit a golf ball. Remember, it was shot for group, not score. Group can be anywhere on the target - score has to be centered on the target.

I'll take your advice and leave this thread. It was fun.

[ 09-03-2004: Message edited by: Cheechako ]

I never sead you couldn't do it. I sead I'd like to see it. PLease don't read in any more than what I sead. I'm not in a huff. I'm as EZ going as the next guy. I just like to watch good shooters shoot. NO Pot sturring intended. Please. next time ya do it have a vidio camera running. That will put the na sayers to bed. Good shooting to ya.
smile.gif

I would love to come out and shoot with ya. How ever time and money prohibbit.

[ 09-03-2004: Message edited by: Youngblood ]

Been lurkin here a for a bit. Regards all.

I got no problem with what froggy said, seem like a good shooter to me. W seems to be a bit huffy and let his mouth outrun his brain. Seems he made some claims even the frog man did not want to back up. Just my two cents.

rolleyes.gif

Ralph

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.