6.5x284 barrel length

jonj

Hi,

I´m considering rebarreling a Rem 700 in 30-06 into a 6.5x284. The rifle will be used for hunting and practice. My weight aim is around 7 ¾ lbs, similar to Rem 700 CDL. Anyhow I´m not sure on how long the barrel should be. I think I´m not willing to go for any longer than 24" sporter barrel. I know that the 6.5x284 should have longer barrels to get that extra speed but can anybody tell me what velocities I can expect to get with a 24" Hart barrel compared to a 26" (I will probably be using the 123 or 139 scenars mostly). Should I maybe go for another cartridge since I will only have 24" barrel or?? All input greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

I would say you need at least a 28" barrel to get the full performance out of the 6.5x284, but I might be wrong, it might work fine with a 24" barrel. Good luck.

Wildcat

I use a 22" Lother barrel on my 6.5x284 with 140g Hornady SSTs for hunting, works fine for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think Wildcat is right, to get the best performance out of it a 28" barrel is the way to go. You might just get by with a 26" barrel????? I think a 260 would be better suited for a shorter barrel. JMO

Frank D

With the bore to powder capacity(effecientcy) of the 6.5-284 the longer barrel is going give the better advantage for increaed velocity. Now I have heard of guys shooting this roundin 15" handguns with great success out 600yds on groundhogs. I think that you will still be shooting faster than a 260 if you go with a 24" barrel so the differance between the 24" and 28" barrels realy isint that great.
Now you will be able to shoot a bullet of the same weight but larger diameter like a 120gr 7mm bullet faster using the same case with the same barrel due to it being more effecient., So why not look at the old 284 Winchester you would be able to step up to a little bit bigger bullets if your game size were to increase very their are still plenty ofr great bullets out their and you barrel length would bennifit your barrel length.

Thanks for the replies guys, really apreciate them.

JD, I haven´t read much about the 284 win. Do you know what velocities I can get with it in 24" barrel and how is it recoil wise?

I must admit that I´m not much into the ballistics of the various cartridges so I would like to know what cartridge you would recommend to me for a long 700 action. Here is some background. The rifle will be rather light weight hunting rifle. I will mostly be shooting fox, birds, deer and seals beside practicing. Ranges will probably mostly be 100 to 400 meters to begin with maybe I´ll shoot at longer ranges when I feel comfortable at them. Minimum dia I´ll consider is 6.5 not sure I want to go bigger than 7mm. Anyway I want to be able to shoot high BC bullets because there is plenty of wind here. Of course I would like it to shoot rather flat but still I dont like too much recoil. So what do you recommend for a light weight 24" barreled hunting rifle?

Thanks,
Jon

P.S. I´m just starting reloading so I´m not limited to factory ammo

the 284 Win has basicaly the same velocity potentioal as anything based on a 30-06 case maybe a little less.
for your needs I would reccommend the 260 Rem , it has a little less velocity than the 6.5-284 but if your not trying to push a heavy for caliber bullet (like the 140gr) to maximum velocity for say 1000yd shooting then the 260 would be better suited.
you can load the 95gr V-max to a pretty fast speed and get some pretty explosive results on varmints and still shoot a 120-140gr bullets deer sized game, yet if you want you can still get out to 1000yds pretty easy. The recoil would be mild and the report would also be a little less than the 6.5-284. You can use readly available 308 Lapua brass wich is probably the best in the world and the round is said to be pretty easy to load for like the 308.

JD, what about the 6.5-06 AI? It looks pretty impressive in the reloading charts. Wouldn´t that work pretty well with 24" barrel?

I´m about to receive my 6,5-284 with a 26 " barrel.

With a 24 barrel and up to the distance you talk about, I would give the 6,5 x 55 swede a thought.. you got the long action, lapua brass available, can shoot heavy for caliber bullets and a bit more power than the 260 rem. Long barrel life also. A bit more??? 6,5 x 55 AI

When you say 26" barrel your talking total finish length is going to to be 26"? therefore the actual rifled part of the barrel is only going to be in the 24" range? Im asking because my carl gustav barrel measures 24" off the action. And Im looking to build a 6.5x284 and want to use 140s and push them in the 2900-3100fps range. Ive been kind of confused on the barrel length/finish legth discussion. Help would be appreciated

My Nosler liberty in 6.5 284 only has a 24 inch barrel and I'm pushing Berger 140 grain vld's at 2980.

I debated on purchasing that exact rifle but didn't because I wanted the 26" barrel to get the most speed I could without having to load to 'hot' in hopes I would be able to get more life out of my barrel. That being said Ive always wanted a 6.5x284 and finally I am able to build one. Hoping to order my Krieger bull sporter #5 @26" and send it and my Law 704 action off to LRI for some helical flutes and a chamber job and a threaded muzzle. Im hoping that it wont take to much fitting to put it in a Remington long action inlet stock from greyboe.

I debated on purchasing that exact rifle but didn't because I wanted the 26" barrel to get the most speed I could without having to load to 'hot' in hopes I would be able to get more life out of my barrel. That being said Ive always wanted a 6.5x284 and finally I am able to build one. Hoping to order my Krieger bull sporter #5 @26" and send it and my Law 704 action off to LRI for some helical flutes and a chamber job and a threaded muzzle. Im hoping that it wont take to much fitting to put it in a Remington long action inlet stock from greyboe.
I love my 6.5 284. I put a brake on it and is so much fun to shoot. Killed a deer with it at 375 yards and barely had to hold high on him. Went down like a ton of bricks.

Except for one 24", all my 6.5x284's used for hunting have been 26". I was able to easily achieve my target velocity of 2975-3000FPS with all of them which also turned out to be an accuracy node for all as well. A 24" is sufficient to handle the slow burners like Retumbo. I personally wouldn't go below 24" and find greater then 26" unnecessary and awkward in a hunting rifle, particularly if you add a muzzle break. IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.