6.5x284 and Superformance

falco394

I was wondering if anyone out there has tried Superformance powder in a 6.5x284? I have other powders, but I have 10lbs of Superformance and would like to use it so I don't have to cut into my other powders. Was looking at running the 143 ELD-X. I know it is not the most stable powder, so I am interested to hear from anyone that might have used it in summer compared to winter and if there was significant change.

Thanks in advance!

I have both a Norma and a Winchester but haven't tried Superformance in either. I do see that Barnes has load data for the 140gr Match Burner on their site from 45.5gr to 49.5gr if that helps any. I use Retumbo (thanks to Greyfox, Feenix, and Montananeer) for the Norma and RL23 for the Winchester. I'd think the 4831 and H1000 would both be good, if you end up trying Superformance, please post I'd like to see how it does.

I've been wondering about this as well. I've got a buddy who swears by it in 6.5 CM and PRC with Hammers. I would think it would be a good match for the 284 as well. I doubt I'll ever quite using Retumbo in mine but I would like to see what the superformance would do.

I wish I knew what the criteria are for whether or not Superformance is going to work. Hodgdon's site says it's "tailored for specific applications" from 22-250 to 300WSM. It put my 30-06 AI over 2800 fps with a 280gr ELD-M when RL26 and H1000 wouldn't come close.

I was wondering if anyone out there has tried Superformance powder in a 6.5x284? I have other powders, but I have 10lbs of Superformance and would like to use it so I don't have to cut into my other powders. Was looking at running the 143 ELD-X. I know it is not the most stable powder, so I am interested to hear from anyone that might have used it in summer compared to winter and if there was significant change.

Thanks in advance!
I find that I get the best performance with N 560 and N165.
my barrel is 30" so the charge weight used needs to be worked up to.I use 140 gn & 142gns Sierra's,so 143 ELDX's should not be a problem.I use Remington 9 1/2 primers.N560 =54.5gns =Mv3050 fps and an average ES below 20fps.N165=56.0gns=
MV 3120fps with an ES of 15fps.
All rifles are different so if you use these powders and data please work your loads up from a safe start point.

I think the super may be ok but I don't recall using it. I've used 57gr of Retumbo, and 49 grains of Hybrid 100V. The 100V ran about 50fps slower than the retumbo. I also did some testing with RL26 which produced the best velocity. Also 4831SC gave me good results but I think it came in about 20 to 30 FPS behind the 100V. 100V gave me the best groups and a descent speed on the 140 for a 24inch barrel. My gun showed pressure a little earlier than most with all powders. I ran it around 2865 If I recall correctly. It lasted producing good accuracy to about 4500 rounds. Was my favorite gun to shoot. Mild recoil and was able to spot hits at 1000yrds in the scope. Not sure about the 143ELDX but the Berger 140 VLD with a 1/8 twist was magic. Also get some good Lapua brass. I got 10 reloads out of each case. So a box was generally good for 1000 rounds if you were doing minimum shoulder setback and trimming to length Also not running the case at max pressure helped a lot as well.