243 Win and Superformance

daka

I've got 55 grain and 70 grain Nosler Varmint Balistic Tip and Superformance powder.
Found one starting and max load for 70 grainers but absolutely none for 55gr. Tried Hodgeon and Nosler websites, read the forums before decide to ask and there is no info.
Read multiple comments on 85 and 95 grainers but nothing under 70 is available. Is there some general rule with Superformance and 243, heavier grain bullets and gaining additional 100 or 200 ft/sec with Superformance. There gotta be some reason that no one uses it.
Read few comments as well how inconsistent and temp. Sensitive powder actually is. Can someone share any "recipes" or thoughts in general about Superformance and 243 lighter bullets relationship, if there is any.

You could call Hodgdon directly for a formula to try with any bullet below 70gr and the Superformance powder. As for temp sensitivity with this particular powder, I haven't noticed it and have so far have gone thru quite a few pounds of it. But to be fair, I've only been loading either the Hornady 80gr. GMX or Barnes T-TSX. Both extremely accurate out of my .243. I don't run the loads at max either, but rather in the middle at @ 3200fps. Either bullet does a fantastic job on deer sized game consistently, out to 300 yards, (haven't harvested a deer yet past that 300 yards mark), don't know if any of what I posted helps. Good luck.

Everything helps my friend, any good advice from someone that has experience with particular subject is way more valuable than anything that can be googled up from websites.
Love forums but sometimes search results are so broad and require an hours of reading with some good information and whole bunch of irrelevant to what is being looked for.
Care to share any of those two recipes as I plan to load Barnes TSX and I think I am getting some noslers and bergers as well.

Sure, Barnes lists 43.8 min. starting load with the 80gr. T-TSX, max is 48.6 grs.using Superformance, I'm loading at 45 grains, using Winchester brass and Federal primers. Hornady lists 38.9 min. starting and a max of 45.4 grains, I'm using the same brass & primers, and either bullet is @ 3200fps,(+ or - 20fps), shoots sub-MOA out of my Savage 110. My smallest group ever was .43 inches, but usually is @ .75 inches at 100 yards. I know this is a long range forum, and I've learned quite a bit from a lot of the different posts, but I'm a hunter from the East Coast, not a long range shooter, and honestly enjoy getting as close as possible to my target animal before pulling the trigger. As for the Nosler bullets, I've had great results with the BT's & AB's, could not get the ET's to shoot a decent group at all, and never tried the Bergers.

It may be the powder is a bit to slow for the 55gr. Which would show unimpressive results. That may be why they don't publish it.
I have no info for those bullets. But since you will be looking for a deer load I just started load work last night with the 70gr hammer hunter and Winchester's new staball 6.5 powder.
It doesnt seem to show anything magical in the 6.5 creed but boy am I impressed with it in the 243 win.
I did a ten shot ladder to find pressure and got to 3640fps without the slightest sign of pressure. So I loaded up another .5gr and a full grain higher but it was a bit late to be blasting outside. So that's today's deal. I want to keep this load on the soft side and I'm think that will be around 3700fps.
Load will be used for deer and pigs.

Agree with snox801. Burn rate is way too slow for that light of bullet to gain optimal performance. I used to switch to H4350 when I hit 80 gr bullets in my 243. Try something a bit faster burning.
Snox801, LMK how that combo works for you. I'm going to try 80 gr HH in my 243 AI with Staball 6.5.

Short answer- Superformance not a powder for 55 gr bullets. Imo.

Hodgdon shows a Superformance compressed (C) load for 65 & 70 gr bullets. The 55 gr is going to need more powder to get maximum velocity.
Hodgdon data lists many powders for a 55gr. Fine ball powders use less case capacity. (Ball powder=mag primer)

Not enough case capacity using Superformance & 55 gr bullets.

Superformance's burn rate is slower then IMR4350 & IMR 4831 , not great powders even for a 70 gr. But IMR 4350 has worked for me with 68/70 gr bullets @ maximum pressures.

Barrel life may be longer, if the bullet seals the bore before the bullets base leaves the case mouth. Less hot gas blowing by the bullets on firing.

These slow powder may not fully expand the case necks on firing, till the maximum loading is reached.

I've got 55 grain and 70 grain Nosler Varmint Balistic Tip and Superformance powder.
Found one starting and max load for 70 grainers but absolutely none for 55gr. Tried Hodgeon and Nosler websites, read the forums before decide to ask and there is no info.
Read multiple comments on 85 and 95 grainers but nothing under 70 is available. Is there some general rule with Superformance and 243, heavier grain bullets and gaining additional 100 or 200 ft/sec with Superformance. There gotta be some reason that no one uses it.
Read few comments as well how inconsistent and temp. Sensitive powder actually is. Can someone share any "recipes" or thoughts in general about Superformance and 243 lighter bullets relationship, if there is any.
Because it is too slow of a powder for that light of a bullet.

Sure, Barnes lists 43.8 min. starting load with the 80gr. T-TSX, max is 48.6 grs.using Superformance, I'm loading at 45 grains, using Winchester brass and Federal primers. Hornady lists 38.9 min. starting and a max of 45.4 grains, I'm using the same brass & primers, and either bullet is @ 3200fps,(+ or - 20fps), shoots sub-MOA out of my Savage 110. My smallest group ever was .43 inches, but usually is @ .75 inches at 100 yards. I know this is a long range forum, and I've learned quite a bit from a lot of the different posts, but I'm a hunter from the East Coast, not a long range shooter, and honestly enjoy getting as close as possible to my target animal before pulling the trigger. As for the Nosler bullets, I've had great results with the BT's & AB's, could not get the ET's to shoot a decent group at all, and never tried the Bergers.
Thanks a lot man...
I really appreciate it...

Short answer- Superformance not a powder for 55 gr bullets. Imo.

Hodgdon shows a Superformance compressed (C) load for 65 & 70 gr bullets. The 55 gr is going to need more powder to get maximum velocity.
Hodgdon data lists many powders for a 55gr. Fine ball powders use less case capacity. (Ball powder=mag primer)

Not enough case capacity using Superformance & 55 gr bullets.

Superformance's burn rate is slower then IMR4350 & IMR 4831 , not great powders even for a 70 gr. But IMR 4350 has worked for me with 68/70 gr bullets @ maximum pressures.

Barrel life may be longer, if the bullet seals the bore before the bullets base leaves the case mouth. Less hot gas blowing by the bullets on firing.

These slow powder may not fully expand the case necks on firing, till the maximum loading is reached.
Great way to put it, I really appreciate it.

It may be the powder is a bit to slow for the 55gr. Which would show unimpressive results. That may be why they don't publish it.
I have no info for those bullets. But since you will be looking for a deer load I just started load work last night with the 70gr hammer hunter and Winchester's new staball 6.5 powder.
It doesnt seem to show anything magical in the 6.5 creed but boy am I impressed with it in the 243 win.
I did a ten shot ladder to find pressure and got to 3640fps without the slightest sign of pressure. So I loaded up another .5gr and a full grain higher but it was a bit late to be blasting outside. So that's today's deal. I want to keep this load on the soft side and I'm think that will be around 3700fps.
Load will be used for deer and pigs.
You got me to try that staball powder now.

Can anyone comment on temperature stability for Superformance. I read some mixed opinions on shooting it in different temperature (eg. Develop a load in a summertime for yote or deer hunting in a winter...)

Don't want to jump the thread now but reason I got Superformance was that apparently Hodgeon list it as ultimate powder for 300WSM (which I also plan to load as well as 243).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.