6.5mm - 25cal = .007"

I read through all 13 pages….many an internet theoretical case has been made touting a favored cal/cartridge….reality is; dwindling tag draws, shrinking game lands and hunting opportunities leaves me thinking that LRH shots are rare.
Not making a kill because you carried a 2506 rem instead of a 6.5 wonder blaster seems a rare weak excuse.
The minimal differences don't show up till about the 600 yd line…400 yds is very long poke at a game animal…these internet LRH shots are done but most of us avoid that crapshoot out here in the wind prone west.

If I were starting from scratch, I'd pick 25 cal over 6mm or 6.5 for a short action cartridge. If you compare using modern bullets, there are advantages on both ends of the ballistic spectrum - in velocity and in BC. Here's a quick comparison for reference:

View attachment 558998

I used conservative velocities here, at 5000ft elevation, 50 degrees, 60% humidity, 30.01Hg

It requires a 3000 fps MV (6.5 PRC speeds) from the 6.5 to have similar energy to the 135 Hyb in 25 Creedmoor.
More is always more. Bigger is bigger. That doesn't mean better.

I think a better comparison would be 25cm with the heaviest factory bullets (135gr) vs the 6.5prc (which is more appropriate for driving the heaviest 6.5s at 153gr). More is more and the 6.5/prc wins hands down. But that's also more powder burnt, more recoil. Everyone has to decide how much they need/want.

I like the 25s for deer because recoil is light for the performance you get. FOR ME, I want more than the 6mms and don't need the 6.5 performance.

It's the same (FOR ME) if I were to ever go elk hunting. I don't see myself needing big 30cal magnum performance but I'd want more than the 6.5s offer. A 7mag of some variety seems to be the perfect balance in my mind.

There are no magic calibers or cartridges, no free lunches, everything is a trade off. You have to find the compromise that makes you happiest.

I think a better comparison would be 25cm with the heaviest factory bullets (135gr) vs the 6.5prc (which is more appropriate for driving the heaviest 6.5s at 153gr). More is more and the 6.5/prc wins hands down. But that's also more powder burnt, more recoil. Everyone has to decide how much they need/want.

I like the 25s for deer because recoil is light for the performance you get. FOR ME, I want more than the 6mms and don't need the 6.5 performance.

It's the same (FOR ME) if I were to ever go elk hunting. I don't see myself needing big 30cal magnum performance but I'd want more than the 6.5s offer. A 7mag of some variety seems to be the perfect balance in my mind.

There are no magic calibers or cartridges, no free lunches, everything is a trade off. You have to find the compromise that makes you happiest.
Using that logic, I would go with a 25 PRC/ 25 SAUM and beat the 6.5 yet again. If using like for like cartridges (creedmoors), the 135 Berger is a standout performer.

I say all this and don't own anything in .25 cal, but a 25 CM is on my short list for the reasons you describe.

Using that logic, I would go with a 25 PRC/ 25 SAUM and beat the 6.5 yet again. If using like for like cartridges (creedmoors), the 135 Berger is a standout performer.

I say all this and don't own anything in .25 cal, but a 25 CM is on my short list for the reasons you describe.
What I meant is that you can play that game until you get to 257 Weatherby vs 26 nosler. Eventually a larger caliber and case capacity will deliver more performance. The 26 nosler will never touch a 7 rum and so on... At some point everyone needs to figure out what balance they want to strike. Performance vs expense, recoil, barrel life...

I'm not saying it's what you're arguing, but some people seem to think there is a shortcut, a cheat, a way to beat the math and physics. Bigger is always more.

TO Me, best is the lowest recoil cartridge that I'm still confident gives me enough performance to do the job.

I love my 25cm. My son's first barrel should arrive any day. It'll be our 2nd in this chamber. I also think this is the prefect starter/kid's cartridge because he can practice with 75/85gr bullets, start hunting with 100gr partitions at close range, and stretch it out with 130+gr when he can handle the recoil.

.257 diameter offers nothing IMO compared to what a 6mm or 6.5mm cartridges can do. Are .257s bad? No. I just see no point in getting one when the other diameters clearly have better bullet selections and more aftermarket support these days.
For many years, the go-to bullet weight in .25 cal was 100-115g in a 1:10" twist. Then came the 131 BJ and faster twist barrels, which sparked renewed interest in .25 cal. Today, we have 133/135 Bergers, 134 Hornady ELD-M, 120/130/145 Black Hole, and 135/140/163 Chinchagas (they can go up to 180). Plenty of bullet choices exist from <100g to 163g in lead and lead-free options.

Both my .257 WBY and .264 WM are 1:7" twist. The heaviest I have for my .264 WM is 156 Berger vs. 163 (and maybe 180 soon) for my .257 WBY.

I've been hunting here in windy Nevada for the last 50yrs….with a 2506…. coyotes, muleys, antelope, elk, mountain lions….never needed to shoot beyond 500yds, never did I ever feel the need for more "performance "….all that BC chatter is just that, theory and chatter , mostly overthinking a non problem…science says higher BCs do something better but that something is a minuscule factor that few of us can actually use or need to use…and not very often …given the current state of obtaining hunting opportunities…for instance in Nevada you're only getting one elk tag in your lifetime…maybe a cow tag too eventually…interesting discussion about mostly overthought theory.

I'll stick with my 70-75gr and Speer& Sierra 120's lol & a bunch of 117 SST's
Berger has 133's & 135's in .257 . Recommending 1-8 or faster
I doubt he will respond; he was last seen on March 1, 2019.
1711837259865.png

I'll stick with my 70-75gr and Speer& Sierra 120's lol & a bunch of 117 SST's
I'm with you on this…I get 3800fps with the Barnes 80 gr. Ttsx and 3350 fps with 100gr Gamekings…in a all my 2506s…my once in a lifetime elk tag is filled…nothing out here in Nevada needs 16" of penetration or a shot beyond 400yds to warrant .600+ BC bullets…so why chase your tail for minimal theoretical gain.

I'm with you on this…I get 3800fps with the Barnes 80 gr. Ttsx and 3350 fps with 100gr Gamekings…in a all my 2506s…my once in a lifetime elk tag is filled…nothing out here in Nevada needs 16" of penetration or a shot beyond 400yds to warrant .600+ BC bullets…so why chase your tail for minimal theoretical gain.
Exactly ❗️The fad is for heavies in all calibers. Most do not shoot near far enough to utilize the BC of the heavy for caliber bullet which doesn't come into effect until ranges get past 500 yards.

Recent Posts