.25cal Elk Bullets

Wow, didn't know i was under gunned myself. i went on my first elk hunt last fall and packed my 25x284 shooting a 100 grain sierra fb. Had a buddy that has been 3 for 3 on elk with that same bullet out of his 257 whby at 3700. Now on the other hand i have made this post several times, another friend who took me on this hunt only shoots a 6mm x 284 100 grain nosler solid base. I was with him last fall in Co. when he took a nice 6x7 elk at around 625 yards. He fired 3 shots at this elk moving and hit twice, they was both in the guts. Now since 1978 this guy has killed 21 or 22 bull elk at ranges from 300 - 700 his opinion smaller bullets fragment better where a lot of larger bullets punch a hole. I think with this many elk under his belt he can make a strong opinion. One thing he pointed out to me was he thought a lot of guys goes the wrong way like a guy goes with say 300 mag misses or looses an elk next year he goes with larger gun that he cant shoot. My friend is a heck of an off hand shooter and for most part can place a bullet where he wants but has had many kills with not as good shots also. btw he is in to off hand muzzle loader shoots and among the top 10 in the country.
mike

Everybody knows that elk guides always carry at least a quad fifty and the more experienced ones carry twin 35s just in case the customer can't get the job done with their 338.

quadfifty.jpg

Oerlikon_35mm_twin_cannon.jpg

hey, do you know where I can pick one of those up if I can get a couple grand together, want to permanently mount one in the roof of my deer stand. I need something belt fed for running shots. This way I can just shoot at the movement in the woods. and make me a few shooting lanes without so much effort.

Mike, 21-22 elk is not many elk and not enough to establish statistical data, particularly if they were all taken with the same caliber. Many years I see that many taken in one year with several different rifles. I have seen elk taken with the 240 wby and 100 grain nosler partitions with well placed shots but 6mm's are not the best choice for elk. I can assure you that a fragmenting bullet is not what you want. Another thing is hunting in colorado where 99% of the elk bulls are young small animals 550-750 pounds. Many elk are lost each year from not enough gun. People make bad shots and a big gun can collect animals that would have been lost with a smaller gun.

Have to say I agree with Varminator when he says you are a little undergunned for elk. I am speaking from experience. I have taken 7 yearling bulls with a 25-06 and numerous cow elk also. Part of my reason for this is because my daughters are quite small and have not been able to withstand the recoil of other guns that I normally hunt with. I have to say that the insurance factor is shooting a bullet that is designed for punishment. All of these elk were taken with Barnes X bullets. Some were the original X's when they first came out. Others were with the 100 grain VLC's and the Triple Shocks have been the latest ones we have used. I dont have any experience with Accu Bonds or others but have not had a reason to with the way the Barnes have performed.
I guide elk and deer hunters each fall for an outfitter and I usually get to witness between 3 to 6 kills each fall on big bulls. I have to say I would rather have a smaller caliber with a great bullet than a larger caliber with a poorly constructed bullet.
Again I would like to say the 25 is not the greatest elk gun but if it is all you have then give yourself the best chance you can by spending the money on a quality bullet.
Good Luck and would be interested to hear what you decide on.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!!!!!!!!!

Mike, 21-22 elk is not many elk and not enough to establish statistical data, particularly if they were all taken with the same caliber. Many years I see that many taken in one year with several different rifles. I have seen elk taken with the 240 wby and 100 grain nosler partitions with well placed shots but 6mm's are not the best choice for elk. I can assure you that a fragmenting bullet is not what you want. Another thing is hunting in colorado where 99% of the elk bulls are young small animals 550-750 pounds. Many elk are lost each year from not enough gun. People make bad shots and a big gun can collect animals that would have been lost with a smaller gun.
i kind of thought that was a lot of elk taken. Any way i will be taking my new 338 edge to Co. this fall.
mike

Great choice, that is one of the best elk rifles in existence. You are much better equipped than your buddy I assure you. Elk don't wear bullet proof vests and a well placed shot with a proper monometal bullet will work in small calibers but why limit yourself. You did well to get an elk rifle.

well, im happy with my edge but i have alot of respect for my friend. i think that is a lot of elk since 78 even going every year. i hope to get a voucher for mule deer, how does the 300 smk do on them. meaning is it to heavy of a bullet?
mike

the 300 smk have worked great for me in my edge from deer to elk the last mule deer buck I shot at 958yrd it broke 6 ribs and the blow the hart right out off him that deer was 300pds dressed out so they should work very good for you

Coming in on the post late. One thing that always seems to get overlooked on these type of threads, which this was a really good one, is reminding shooters the need to study the anatomy of the animal they are hunting. I got into studying the anatomy for varying angled shots for archery elk hunting and can't tell you how much of a better big game killer it has made me.

I can't tell you how many time I have had buddies tell me they hit an animal in the boiler room, sometimes even with multiple hits, and we are still tracking a mile+ later. Come to find out when we finally find the animal their concept of the boiler room is way to far back. Often they were lucky to barely hit the back of the lungs and mostly hit the liver.

I would suggest if you are a bit under-gun'd, or even if you aren't and just want to put them down as quickly as possible, study the anatomy and learn where to aim. I would agree with another poster that mentioned that taking them through the ribs and vitals is a much safer way than taking a shoulder shot, especially the shoulder facing you.

Here is a link that has some great info regarding shot placement and bone structure and the anatomy of an elk. It is an archery thread but everything can be used with rifle hunters.

http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=338909&forum=5#2772818

I am personally not sold on the all copper bullets. I have seen too many not expand. I think the new polymer tipped bullets should help with this but I haven't shot enough of those to get a feel yet. I would probably shoot the partition, then the AB. I would be interested to hear results on the 115g bergers. If they hold together 2-3 inches on an elk like they do deer before blowing up, they would be my choice there too. I don't have any experience with .25 bergers on elk though.

The .257 is not enough for elk? How about the .308 or the greatest of all .30-06? The .257 with a 120 gr. bullet smokes both of these old retributes in both speed (obviously) and energy! 120gr .257 at the muzzle has 2,910 fpe and still retains over a ton, 2,071 fpe at 200 yds. Compare that to the .308, 180 gr. slug at 2,743 fpe muzzle & 1,930 at 200 yds. How about the 30-06, 2,913 fpe at the muzzle & 1,635 at 200 yds.

The .257 was ol' Roy's favorite and he killed everything in Africa with it. If they tout the 6mm-284 as an excellent elk cartridge, (.243) how can a 25 cal. with more speed and more energy not be better? I'm from Tennessee, maybe I jus' don't get it!

Never shot an elk with my .257, but it sure handles whitetails with no problem!

I took my 257 hunting for a elk, but did not luck out. I wanted to break it in right, bought it for speed goats.I had a 243 for a first gun, so that is what I shot elk with, same for my son,same rifle. It is all about shot placement. I have taken 1/2 of my 30+ elk with a bow. I just love to hunt. But I like the 338's for elk as a favorite, so does my 15 yr. old son. He stole my 340 WM, and wont give it back, I was even having trouble with my 325 and he said "TO BAD" Had a 338 NM BUILT this season so naturally, I arrow a nice 6x6 with the bow, o well. Nape take that 257 out and get er done

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.