Hornady 25cal 134g Eldm

The prices noted as being lower are simply place holders for the ad design. These ads are prepared way ahead of time in order to allow the release of the ad to be faster in order to gain a slight edge on the market. All they have to change is the price. Fast, easy and cheaper.

The normal announcement for a Hornady new product is 3-6 months which allows time for the public and gun writers to get all worked up into a lather so that when the product is finally released, it sells out nearly immediately. Hornady has been following this practice for years, successfully.

I still have plenty of the 131 gr. Ace bullets as well as both types of Bergers so I'm not that excited about the ELD-M bullets at all. And if you still need something heavier and longer, there are the Black Hole Bullets:

1679146722514.png

https://blackholebullets.com/see-products

Enjoy!

:)

The prices noted as being lower are simply place holders for the ad design. These ads are prepared way ahead of time in order to allow the release of the ad to be faster in order to gain a slight edge on the market. All they have to change is the price. Fast, easy and cheaper.

The normal announcement for a Hornady new product is 3-6 months which allows time for the public and gun writers to get all worked up into a lather so that when the product is finally released, it sells out nearly immediately. Hornady has been following this practice for years, successfully.

I still have plenty of the 131 gr. Ace bullets as well as both types of Bergers so I'm not that excited about the ELD-M bullets at all. And if you still need something heavier and longer, there are the Black Hole Bullets:

View attachment 448384
https://blackholebullets.com/see-products

Enjoy!

:)
Have you shot the black hole bullets?

What did they run you when you bought them? Any groups you have shot for size besides the 10 shot group?
I think I paid $42ish per 100 and bought about 1500 for my barrel. I've shot multiple other 10 round groups and they are all about 1". I don't really keep track of group sizes smaller than 10 shots but I'd guess 3-5 shots are in the .5 or less range. Keep in mind I don't believe in tuning seating depth or powder charge. It's seated roughly .05 off the lands and powder charge is roughly a grain below pressure signs. For what it's worth.

1-Determining accuracy potential using 100yd groups with a high BC bullet
2-No seating depth tuning
3-no powder charge adjustment

So how did you decide on that load if you don't tweak?
This is definitely a new approach

I kind of do the same thing as willfrye027 and have had success finding a load. Saves time and components. This is what I do:

1. Run a pressure velo ladder to find max with bullet seated at .20 off the lands. This is usually done in under 10 rounds.
2. Load 10 at .5 - 1gr below max depending on velocities I am seeing. I shoot 5 for a group and 5 for velocity data. I am usually done after this.

I have done 6 different rifles like this and only had to tweak seating depth on 2 of them. Interesting thing was those 2 rifles were factory. The others were customs or semi customs. ES has always been under 20 and SD's have always been single digits. 5 shot groups have always been at least .75 moa @100yds with the majority being .30 to .50 moa. This is good enough for me as these are just hunting rifles. Rifles I have loaded for 25 creedmoor, 7RM, 25-06, 270wsm, 243 and 6.5 PRC. Hornady recently did a podcast on something similar and Hammer bullets recommends this for their bullets. I tried it with bergers and it has worked. Shot my 6.5 PRC with 156 bergers out to a mile.

I used to do ladder tests, mess with seating depth, change primers, etc. I listened to the hornady podcast series "your groups are too small" and started reading about others actually testing results.

Turns out, a 3 or even 5 shot group is not very repeatable. One may be 0.3", the next 0.9", etc. leaving you to believe something has changed between those two loads.

In reality it's just too small of a sample size to see a true difference. I chased my tail trying to dial in the perfect combination when in reality, there may not actually BE a difference in group size based on incremental powder charge or seating depth change.

At least with the cartridges I've been loading for, I end up with excellent results by just seating a bullet "a ways" off the lands or at mag length, 1gr below max, and shoot a larger group.

If it's not shooting well or not reaching my velocity goal needs, I change bullets or powder. Bullets seem to matter more than powder at least for me.

If my group is 1"-1.7" depending on the gun…it is absolutely not going to be the cause of a miss. Some shooting disciplines may require higher level of precision..most probably not. I shoot a lot of steel out to 1200 yards or so but my goal is on game effective to 700 yards or so in good wind conditions. (It's going to be the wind that causes a miss).

It's a lot to get into here but check out the podcast, some incredibly compelling data they show with rail guns and huge volumes of shooting.

So far it's working quite well for me and I spend more time practicing wind calls and field shooting positions than tinkering at the loading bench. I'm a much better shooter now than I've ever been.

Accuracy potential at 100 I just shoot a large volume…10-20 shots or multiple 10 round groups. Too many variables at long distance but I do like to see my splashes stacked in there on the 1000 yard steel 😬

I use a different approach, not saying anybody is right or wrong or indifferent. Load development for me is at 300yds minimum, after I make sure the scope is good at 100. It's usually checked at 500 from the same bench when/if I like what I see.

If it won't repeat the desired results at the same ranges multiple times it tells me it's not tuned properly. Something isn't giving the same harmonics.
Sometimes I check it on multiple days in a row, at different temps, etc.
For me, .5 moa is a max I will tolerate on a bad day, so I don't call it good until I'm getting .3-.4 with what I think is a good load.
Then it must repeat.
I may be driving the bus the long way around, but it's gives me confidence. And results.
To each their own for sure, thanks for the reply and sharing. In this sport of ours there is always something to learn!
Phil

I should take some pictures of a target round by round as I shoot a 20 shot group. Sometimes first 3 are 1" and not looking great, the other day 9 in a row went into a ragged hole. The more shots in a group the more it starts to fill in the "cone" that a given barrel will produce with that load.

To each their own but I'm tired the convention reloading methods and probably won't go back