6.5mm - 25cal = .007"

he 6mm is arguably better to 1000 yards and past that range the heavy 30 cal bullets start to do well ballisticly. You were correct right up to the end of the sentence.A 6.5 is still spinning properly at 2k or more and is bested at a hell of a long way out by the .338. .30's are losing their attractiveness by the year.

Yea and my 50 bmg bests the 338 but I have to call bs on a 6.5 stabilizing to 2000 yards let alone more. Its going trans sonic at 1500 yards with a 142 smk at 2800 fps. The higher the bc of a bullet the harder it is to maintain stability under the sound barrier. Alot of bullets won't stabalize close to that low of velocity.

Seriously..?

People that make mono solids...

RockyMtnMT

He is the man...then Barnes...

I shoot to much for that, I couldn't find my addiction. Also, high bc solids for match shooting arent good choices for hunting. I have never been around anyone that uses controlled expansion cnc d bullets for hunting.

Those us us in communist California have to starting this next year

I feel bad for the hunters in Cali. I'm still ****ed I can't use lead on geese. My old Ithaca goose gun is worthless in its origional configuration.

I shoot to much for that, I couldn't find my addiction. Also, high bc solids for match shooting arent good choices for hunting. I have never been around anyone that uses controlled expansion cnc d bullets for hunting.

That is all that is left in California...

Mach1 -
Used to be behind one so...
the 338 has beaten the 50 cal in a combat theater.

There is no way the 338 Lapua outperforms a 50 BMG at ultra long ranges. I've owned both and still own a 50. If you're talking about the US military, then yes maybe the 338 out does the 50 BMG as far as a sniper rifle. But that's only because the US military 50 BMG is a semi automatic in adequate *** For a sniper rifle. First off the m82a1 and m107 are anti material rifles not "sniper rifles" like the 338 bolt gun. Now the Canadians have the McMillan 50 bmg. That makes the 50 bmg a player in accuracy at the long ranges. I have an m82a1 Barrett and can attest to the crappy accuracy. It's a semi auto with a recoiling barrel and horrid trigger, fun as hell but certainly not a long range accurate rifle. In fact most of the high bc match bullets I can't load clip length to use in my 50. So compare precision bolt guns to precision bolt guns

Accuracy International.
I know, the Cheytac will outshoot it.
But I thought we were talking about .25's & 6.5's.
Curious though. Have you done a 2.000 yard shot with that 50?
Been awhile, but I'm sure there are some who can help. I believe the 338 goes subsonic at about 1910 yards. The 50 goes subsonic at about 2,010 (depending on bullet). Kinda going on memory.

Last edited:
So I was making the case for a blackjack type .257 bullet long before it existed and my rationale was the same as what they are now using.

-a .243 bullet cannot get to .333 bc. You'd need something crazy like a 1:6 twist

-The 6.5s are now getting there and that's great but you need at least a 6.5x284 to run the 150 class bullets at 3000 fps. And that is going to have some recoil.

- testing is showing the 131 BJ @2950 with an x47, 3000 with a creed, and 3200 if you jump up to the x284. So much less recoil to get similar numbers or a little less recoil to be much flatter.

- the 6.5s are going to be better for elk with their additional energy but for deer and targets I'll take the lighter bullets/ less recoil.

Is it worth building a gun around this bullet? Well that's your call. They have promised a hunting bullet for next year. And with the trend towards high bc bullets and the fact that newness drives sales I wouldn't be surprised to see more options show up. Also if you are comparing bcs there are only a few 6.5s in this class. So it's not really 1 option vs 16 options. Its more like 1 vs 3 or 4.

For those of us who have been begging for better .257 options, I feel we have an obligation to support Blackjack and more development. So for me it's worth it.

If you don't like using "target" bullets on game, then you are out of luck until next year, but I've had good luck with bergers and it sounds like these will have comparable terminal performance.