6.5 wildcat

deacon

I`m new here. I`m wanting to build a 6.5 on a magnum action. Remmington 700 action , 28-30 inch barrel, and Hs stock. Would a 300wm necked down to 6.5 work? I Was thinking 6/284 to start with but ran across a Sendero at a real deal.

6.5 STW is pretty sweet and would work in that action, just a 7mm STW necked down(theres also a .264 Thor, basically the same thing only the neck was lengthened alittle bit and the shoulder angle was blown out to 35 degrees). Shoots really flat. Also check to see any responses to my other topic and really fast 6.5s, might find something there.

I use a 6.5/300 DTC Yuma that a 264 WIN mag with a long neck and tighter chamber than regular saami design that nice not too much barrel burner and no neeed of custom die with a good suplly of case from 300 win mag

good shooting

DAN TEC

6.5/300WSM is very popular. In fact, so popular that Lee now makes limited Production dies for it and this wildcat could only be a few years old.

Performance will be in the same league as the 6.5 Rem mag of old. A good high speed puppy that will be toasty on your throats.

The STW will certainly up the vel a bit but barrel life could be very limited.

Depends on what you want to do. If going for all out speed - go big, go home. If looking for a LR rig for hunting/varminting, the 6.5-284 or RSAUM or '06/Gibbs/AI would all work well. The WSM just gives you 100 to 200fps more poop. You could always get a long barrel and pick up the vel without increasing the barrel wear.

If 1000yd match shooting, the smaller cases like my Mystic, 6.5X55 and AI versions will also work just fine.

Jerry

thanks for the replies. The gun would mainly be used for long range ground hogs and maybe deer. I have a custom 300wm that I use now for my long range varmint rifle. I was wanting a little smaller cal. with better ballistics.

Deacon,

Ever consider a simple model like say a 6.5-06 AI. I can tell you it is excellent for pasture grizzlies and would really stomp a white tail as well.

6.5 WSM is in the same class as 264 WIN mag that more powerfull than 6.5 REM ag even with seat out bullet

6.5 REM mag seem to comeback ( new run from Rem factory ? )

depend what you need top velocity for top velocity or top accuracy , I am very happy with my 6.5/300 Yuma

good shooting

DAN TEC

You might try a 404 jeffrys necked dow to 6.5. Using the dakota 7mm brass neck down to 6.5 I have been very pleased and the case life is great, also 175 to 200 faster than the 264 win mag and much more accurate.

I have the 6.5X300 Win Mag..

It works well so far.. but if I was to do it again I'd do a 6.5 STW if my action was long enough. Or a 375 Ruger necked down to 6.5 if I was using a standard length action..

If you are set on a 6.5X300 Win Mag I have some load data on my other comp I could forward to you.

Bill

For the investment you would have to put into a 6.5-300 Win Mag, you will really not get alot of performance gains over the old 264 Win Mag which when handloaded properly, is a much more potent chambering then many would have you to believe, especially if you look at factory loaded ballisitics.

If you want something larger then the 6.5mm WSM or 264 Win Mag, I would say you should jump up to the 6.5 STW as it would offer a very usible increase over the 264 and in fact would probably be less expensive to get into loading dies for then the 6.5-300 Win Mag.

The 6.5 works great on the Dakota cases. My 6.5mm Allen Xpress is based on the 300 Dakota and is the full equal to the STW but in a 2.5" case length for standard length actions. Since you have a full length receiver, there would really be no advantage with it over the STW and the STW would be easier to neck down and no fireforming would be needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.