6.5 vs 6.5

Ex-Army here. Low crawling is familiar to me.:D

Then you get introduced to some of the native spine bearing vegetation. Those goat head weeds are no freeking joke, they make stepping on a nail a delight.

Congratulations on your new creedmoor.

Personally with your needs I would go with a 6.5x47 Lapua, 6 Dasher or a 6 BR, all will handle deer at 400 yards without issue while still capable to 1000 yards with the BR a little less but out to 600-800 it's stupid fun to shoot with zero recoil and you can just keep hitting the giggle switch.

In a pinch creedmoor factory ammo performs very well. I've read some guys don't even bother reloading due to the performance of factory loads.

I chose the creedmoor because of 140 amax is cheaper to shoot a lot of rounds with and I dont want to push that bullet over 2900 fps in case of a close shot at game. Shooting steel at 1000 yards with the g7-br2 rangefinder cold bore hit with two follow up hits on 12" plate is good enough for me.

Now that we've settled that, I need to start haunting the local gunshops and pawn establishments for a donor rifle. Stainless preferred, Remington 700 S/A or Savage 11 will work, I suspect. :rolleyes:

Now that we've settled that, I need to start haunting the local gunshops and pawn establishments for a donor rifle. Stainless preferred, Remington 700 S/A or Savage 11 will work, I suspect. :rolleyes:

I'd establish a budget. This being your one and only (so you say). I would do it right the first time with a stiller action, barlein barrel, and whatever stock suites your needs.

Here is my breakdown:
1. Savage: budget build adequate and accurate but limited.
2. R700: great and plentiful options, but to get the most of it (trued and new bolt) will raise the cost.
3. Stiller: 700 options + higher tolerances all the way around. Far better bolt w/ a great finish.

The classifieds has a trued r700LA w/ a ptg bolt terribly cheap. If I didn't have a stiller in the safe I'd pick it up.

I have a Creedmoor but I believe the .260 Rem would allow for higher velocities and still have good barrel life

That is pretty debatable. The 6.5x47, Creed' & 260 all run so close to eachother I believe you will see a bigger difference in the barrel used over the cartridge used. YMMV.

t

I have, loads listed for the two are:

260= 139 Scenar @ 2829
Creed= 140 Amax @ 2810

19fps difference. Game Changer!!!

All kidding aside, the ability to procure Lapua brass is definitely a nod in the direction of the 260. The cheap, available & very accurate factory match ammo for the Creed is a huge point to some. We can debate the merits of each all day long & there will be no clear winner. They both do the same thing with the same bullet at the same distance. Ford Vs GM all day long.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.