6.5 Swede vs 6.5 Creed

I think the 6.5x55mm would work just fine, it's a great little cartridge, heck even the 6.5x57mm would be fun, perhaps more fun. But for the nostalgia who like history, I think the 7x57mm would be hard to beat; after all W.D.M "Karamojo" Bell killed 1011 Bull Elephants with one, all but 28 (Cows) were Bull's using a 7x57mm rifle, he also used a 6.5x54mm MS but found early on the 7x57mm performed a little better on big game at close range. W.D.M??... Weapon of Mass Destruction, no... :) but, I'm sure the big tuskers thought he was. Yeah, I think I'd stay with the 7x57mm I've owned a couple of Winchesters in that caliber over the years, I never felt I was under gunned.

4e07313bb26d4d11c86516ff3e57298d-hunting-dogs-africa-art.jpg

I have had considerable experience with both '98 and '96 mausers and still hunt with both. Any '98 manufactured by a reputable factory will handle all modern calibers that fit the action, and any '96 made less than a hundred years ago is almost as strong. In fact, it was the basis for the Husqvarner actions made up until the '50's and they were chambered in modern magnum calibers. On the other hand, I owned one pre-'96 Mauser and it was chambered in 6mm Rem. After a hundred rounds the action had stretched so badly it was unsafe to shoot due to excessive headspace. It was re-barrelled to 8x57 and was fine afterward if you stuck to factory ammo or light loads. 7x57 is an excellent caliber, so are 6.5x55 and 8x57 and if the rifle fits you well and carries comfortably keep it. Reasonably priced good barrels are available and most mauser barrels require very little fitting.

I have had considerable experience with both '98 and '96 mausers and still hunt with both. Any '98 manufactured by a reputable factory will handle all modern calibers that fit the action, and any '96 made less than a hundred years ago is almost as strong. In fact, it was the basis for the Husqvarner actions made up until the '50's and they were chambered in modern magnum calibers. On the other hand, I owned one pre-'96 Mauser and it was chambered in 6mm Rem. After a hundred rounds the action had stretched so badly it was unsafe to shoot due to excessive headspace. It was re-barrelled to 8x57 and was fine afterward if you stuck to factory ammo or light loads. 7x57 is an excellent caliber, so are 6.5x55 and 8x57 and if the rifle fits you well and carries comfortably keep it. Reasonably priced good barrels are available and most mauser barrels require very little fitting.

I'm watching this thread! I have a Husqy M96 1942 in 6.5x55 and I have read so much conflicting info, everything from "weak action" to "almost as strong as a 98"

Am I correct in thinking that concerns are mostly about loose primers and case head separations? In which case (pun intended) one should use European brass of proper spec instead of American, and inspect the case heads regularly????

I have only reloaded 30-30 out of the book, the finer points of reloading I have only read about so please forgive my ignorance!

Carsyn.22

When loaded to spec (around 55 thou) it shouldn't be a problem with any brass. The first 6.5x55 brass I used in my converted Swedish military mausers was American and it was fine but later I switched to Norma brass because I read that the original specs for 6.5x55 brass had a slightly thicker case rim than the American manufacturers were using, and European manufacturers still used the original. I have never miked either but my rifles did prefer the Norma brass when it came to accuracy so I have stayed with it. I have Husky rifles in other calibers (.270, .308 and 9.3x62) and I don't hesitate to load them to modern standards. They are a strong action but, like any rifle, I still start my loads well below max and work my way up watching for signs of pressure. Any rifle, even the latest greatest new ones as I have seen lately, can develop defects or suffer from manufacturing flaws.

Your Husky was manufactured during the War years and I believe, but don't guarantee, that it was still being made with top grade steel. As the war went on quality steel became scarce and the quality of rifles manufactured in German held countries deteriorated but I believe yours isn't in that category.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.