6.5 vs 6.5

patience

How does bbl life compare between 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5-284? Think I asked that correctly. Building my first and possibly my only long range rig so I'll have it for a while, I expect. Is the difference gonna be sizeable? Will it depend more on my load than the specific caliber?

It will be longer with the creedmoor but I don't think it should be the deciding factor. I shoot a 6.5x284 and I don't baby it. I'm at about 950 rounds and I got the instructors at school to borecope it and it looks fine still. When I built the gun I chose between the 6.5x284 and the creedmoor and the 284 won out mostly because of brass availability at the time. Either one will do you well!

Will the bore life be sizably different? In a word, Yes. The creed' will easily last 2x as long as the x284. However, there are trade-off's. More velocity out of the x284 offers the usual performance enhancements of greater velocity. Better brass in the x284 as well.

The Creed is a true short action cartridge while the x284 is more suited to a Long action, if that makes any difference to you.

It's going to depend on what you need the cartridge to do. The Creed' will still get you out past 1k **** easy, on targets at least.

t

Will the bore life be sizably different? In a word, Yes. The creed' will easily last 2x as long as the x284. However, there are trade-off's. More velocity out of the x284 offers the usual performance enhancements of greater velocity. Better brass in the x284 as well.

The Creed is a true short action cartridge while the x284 is more suited to a Long action, if that makes any difference to you.

It's going to depend on what you need the cartridge to do. The Creed' will still get you out past 1k **** easy, on targets at least.

t

Well said. If your just shotting targets then definitely the Creedmoor but if you plan on hunting past 1000 yards the id suggest 6.5x284. Not that the Creedmoor cant do it but the 284 will give you more room for error.

No doubt the creed will last considerably longer but depending on the application that stat may be a moot point. What is the rifle's purpose?

We may have to disagree on that point. If this really is the OP's only custom, bore life is far more considerable than "moot".

t

We may have to disagree on that point. If this really is the OP's only custom, bore life is far more considerable than "moot".

t

Depending on frequency of use a 6.5x284 can last a lifetime +

**something else to consider, I've never seen anything on the topic, is to down load the 6.5x284 to creedmoor specs. Doing so should add some life to your barrel.

My smith loves the creedmoor. So far he hasn't built one that wouldn't shoot "like a house fire" as he would say.

Depending on frequency of use a 6.5x284 can last a lifetime +

**something else to consider, I've never seen anything on the topic, is to down load the 6.5x284 to creedmoor specs. Doing so should add some life to your barrel.

My smith loves the creedmoor. So far he hasn't built one that wouldn't shoot "like a house fire" as he would say.

On that point, I can agree. If this were a 100% hunting only rig with just enough practice to remain capable it an last quite a while. I'm sure one could down load it but I can't speak to that. Load it with H-1000, keep the pressures sane, you could expect ~1200-1500 rounds I'd imagine.

t

t

Yup. Probably my only custom. Largest critter I'll probably ever take will be a white tail deer and past 400 yds is not in my nature to risk on game that size.
A couple of SD prairie dog hunts with the possibility of some bonus coyotes at greater distances are in my retired future. Maybe an antelope hunt. Paper and steel out to 1000.
I live in southern Indiana. Not a distance shooters paradise.:D

Yup. Probably my only custom. Largest critter I'll probably ever take will be a white tail deer and past 400 yds is not in my nature to risk on game that size.
A couple of SD prairie dog hunts with the possibility of some bonus coyotes at greater distances are in my retired future. Maybe an antelope hunt. Paper and steel out to 1000.

If you're going after prairie dogs, I would strongly recommend the Creed'. Personally speaking, I get a little carried away & usually get my "dog" rig a little on the DEAR GOD hot side before I realize it. That is pretty bad ju-ju for the x284.

Range, intended critters etc.... All the criteria you're posting says Creedmoor to me.

t

I know the midwest feeling. HAHAHA. I went MZ hunting and was pumped to take a deer at 100+. I was on ridge in big timber and it took everything I had to make my range finder say 97yds!

Is there a preference of action, long or short? It sounds like the creedmoor fits the build, but that antelope hunt might leave you crawling a few hundred yards.

I know the midwest feeling. HAHAHA. I went MZ hunting and was pumped to take a deer at 100+. I was on ridge in big timber and it took everything I had to make my range finder say 97yds!

Is there a preference of action, long or short? It sounds like the creedmoor fits the build, but that antelope hunt might leave you crawling a few hundred yards.

Ex-Army here. Low crawling is familiar to me.:D

For what you're describing I would say the creedmoor for sure. I love my 6.5x284 but when I go back home to the thick woods I'd do a creedmoor if I did it over again good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.