6.5 viking? what is it?

What was the claim? I haven't heard of the cartridge & a quick Google-fu didn't turn up anything.... there are several cartridges that will outrun your 6.5-06 (Which is a great round BTW:D). The 6.5-06AI, 264WM, 264STW, 6.5WSM, 6.5-300WBY, 6.5AM etc.

My guess would be the Viking name may be a moniker he or his 'smith attached to a particular wildcat.

Were there any particulars given? Parent case etc?

Remember, if it look like a rat, acts like a rat, smells like a rat... it's probably a salesman! HA!

What were the numbers given? The baddest 6.5mm out there is Mr. Allen`s 6.5 Allen Magnum, based off a .338 RUM Allen Improved. Im not sure you could get much more velocity than what that gets, regardless of the amount of powder used. He takes it to the absolute most powder you can stuff down a given bore size while still getting velocity gains, taking it any further than what Kirby Allen does with his Allen Mags will result in dramatically diminished returns for all intents and purposes. For example, his .257AM gives +500fps over the .257 Weatherby and +200fps over the .257 STW! And as you probably know, the .257 STW is based off the 8mm Rem Mag, a massive case with quite a small bore. With the .257AM, youre talking about 100 grainers at 4050fps!

I'm just tossing out a guess but the 6.5 grendel possibly could be your mystery round, (grendel) being a mythical monster from Viking lore . Just a guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.