6.5 Sherman 160 Matrix

elkaholic

Two more deer down with the Shermans/160 Matrix. Johnny got this one with the Sherman and I killed another 4 point with the SS (both with 160 Matrix) This deer was facing him with a little quartering and took the bullet in the neck. It traveled into the chest cavity at the esophagus, took out the left lung, destroyed the liver, and tore up the offside rib cage. It appears that the bullet split after entering the chest cavity. This has been typical of the 160 Matrix so far. Plenty of penetration and substantial damage. The deer was shot at 307 yards so impact velocity was around 2600'. MV at 3006'. I didn't get any pics of mine as I forgot the camera. I had a very awkward shot over my right shoulder at 160 yards and hit him back and high. There was massive damage as the bullet hit the bottom of the spine. So far this year the Sherman/Matrix combo has taken 2 deer, a bear and an elk with nothing moving more than a few steps. johnny 4pt.jpg

get-attachment.aspx.jpg

get-attachment.aspx.jpeg

That looks to be some pretty substantial damage Rich. Thank you for sharing that. The more I think about it, the more I feel the 160 is the way to go... only if them CEB's didn't shoot so dern good:rolleyes: I still have some testing to do....

Were the pictured 160's annealed?

t

That looks to be some pretty substantial damage Rich. Thank you for sharing that. The more I think about it, the more I feel the 160 is the way to go... only if them CEB's didn't shoot so dern good:rolleyes: I still have some testing to do....

Were the pictured 160's annealed?

t

Thanks outlaw. That one was not annealed, but have found that the annealed ones penetrate very well. They just expand a couple hundred feet quicker........Rich

Nice work. I have not annealed my latest bullets yet but was wondering if you recap how you do it?

I have been really impressed with LR results with the 160 as far as accuracy and consistency. Just need a Sherman to get them up to 3000+. My 6.5-284 in a 24" @2700 fps is showing .3 moa. I tested 1 grain more powder pressure was still OK so perhaps 2800.

Thanks Brent! Better rechamber that 6.5/284:D You would have to set the barrel back a little though. Heck, just build another rifle.
I use a ceramic block with holes drilled so that the bullet tips stick out approx. 1/4" or less. I heat with a propane torch for about 8-10 seconds (until color changes). Don't move for a few seconds so you make sure any melted lead doesn't shift......Rich

Here is a pic of the bullet Johnny just found in the ribcage. The annealed ones normally mushroom more and tear less than this one. When they aren't annealed, they typically work more like a Berger (penetrate farther, then blow).......Richget-attachment.aspx.jpg

It sure looks to dumped a good bit of energy :cool:

t

Yup! Dumped that buck too. Believe it or not, he did stand back up after it knocked him flat. Sometimes they take an UNBELIEVABLE amount of punishment. I think if my guts looked like that, I'd holler uncle:D

You're right about that. I've seen my fair share of animals take an amazing amount of punishment.

I wonder how fast the STW would push the 160's....:rolleyes:

t

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.