6.5 Sherman 147 ELDM and 156 Berger

Not to derail the posts but I've always been curious of the 6.5 Sherman vs 6.5x280 ai. I feel like the latter would be the easiest as far as forming the brass goes. Why not more 6.5x280ai? Too finicky? Overbore? Same with wsm.

Was helping a buddy and Had a hydraulic auger fall off a skid steer and fell on top of me 10 days ago and broke my leg. Got a lot of time on my hands to research my next build.

Last edited:
I already have a long action. Probably either a 6.5 Sherman or 6.5-280 ai. What would be the pros or cons of each? The Sherman intrigues me though.

Last edited:
Had a hydraulic auger fall off a skid steer and fell on top of me 10 days ago and broke my leg. Got a lot of time on my hands to research my next build.
Hope you heal up ok. I work maintenance in a big plant. Been in maintenance for 25 years and have saw a few things that really shook me up.

I love Rich Sherman's cartridges. Just finished a 338 Sherman (long/270 based cartridge). His cartridges are extremely efficient. I'm getting right at 3000 fps with 213 gr Hammers with almost 20 grs less powder than a RUM! My next build will be a 6.5 Max, based on the saum case. Also very efficient. Go to Rich's site and look through the info. One of his links shows data developed by clients. You can compare velocities of his cartridges to other rounds. You will likely be impressed. He also sells ADG brass for several of his cartridges.

Hunter67wa. Are you use 270 win brass to fire form?

I use 270 Win brass, but neck up to.284 to allow for better crush fit as well.Didn't have the chance to snag Peterson 280 brass before eurooptic sold out, but did get some 270 brass. Should be great!

D86585F9-0516-4DCC-AB97-956E0E9214FF.jpeg
0AEF62E5-E331-43D0-B82A-A7F8B9A1746C.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts