6.5 saum build questions

Cgerden74

I'm in the middle of a 6.5 saum build and I have a couple questions. I already ordered a 7.5 twist 26 inch barrel but I need to give them the freebore and neck that I would like. I plan on shooting berger and hornady 140s or heavier mostly. I would rather not neck turn if I don't need to. I have 300 6.5 saum brass so I won't be necking down from 300 or 7mm saum. So my question is what freebore and neck size would be best for me? I see .120 with a .296 neck mentioned a lot but is this no neck turn? Do they make a no neck turn reamer. any help would be appreciated. thanks

That is going to depend on your magazine set up. Are you running an AICS magazine with a max OAL of 2.8" or 2.9" or a short action regular mag that is limited further? Do you have plans to have a Wyatt's extended mag installed? Or are you even using a short action or a long action? Is your gunsmith is ordering a custom reamer or using a throating reamer to set the freebore? Either way I would measure your max OAL then make up a couple dummy rounds with the bullets you intend to shoot and send them to the smith. George Gardener has two different spec chambers for the 6.5 Gap4s one for 140 Berger hybrid at .081" and the other for Hornady eldm at .104" those freebore lengths are intended to fit in a short action AICS magazine. If you have a longer magazine capacity you can stretch the freebore for more case capacity.

That is going to depend on your magazine set up. Are you running an AICS magazine with a max OAL of 2.8" or 2.9" or a short action regular mag that is limited further? Do you have plans to have a Wyatt's extended mag installed? Or are you even using a short action or a long action? Is your gunsmith is ordering a custom reamer or using a throating reamer to set the freebore? Either way I would measure your max OAL then make up a couple dummy rounds with the bullets you intend to shoot and send them to the smith. George Gardener has two different spec chambers for the 6.5 Gap4s one for 140 Berger hybrid at .081" and the other for Hornady eldm at .104" those freebore lengths are intended to fit in a short action AICS magazine. If you have a longer magazine capacity you can stretch the freebore for more case capacity.
Its a Kelbly atlas tactical short action and ill measure the magazine later when I get home. I Did see the Wyatts ext. mag but I went with detachable bottom magazine. Thats great information thank you.

prep and load a couple pieces of brass with any bullet you have, measure neck dia. and add .004. my guess .298-.299 should be good for no turn but all brass is different
I am working on a 6.5 wildcat that uses SAUM brass and I used .296 and .188 freebore. I have to lightly turn necks and the .188 freebore has most bullets 140 and up at 2.995 oal or longer

prep and load a couple pieces of brass with any bullet you have, measure neck dia. and add .004. my guess .298-.299 should be good for no turn but all brass is different
I am working on a 6.5 wildcat that uses SAUM brass and I used .296 and .188 freebore. I have to lightly turn necks and the .188 freebore has most bullets 140 and up at 2.995 oal or lon
My coal for my magazine is 2.955 and my neck is .293.5 . my action is kelblys short action prc cut. magnum bolt face. Thank you guys for the help. I'll load a few dummy rounds and send them out to the smith.

My coal for my magazine is 2.955 and my neck is .293.5 . my action is kelblys short action prc cut. magnum bolt face. Thank you guys for the help. I'll load a few dummy rounds and send them out to the smith.
So I got most of my info on the barrel hashed out but I have one more question for you. I took your advice and loaded up both hornady and add 6.5 saum brass and relayed my findings to the company spinning up my barrel. hornady measured 292.5 and adg was .294.5. The smith says .298 is to tight for my rounds and wants to go with a .301 neck. It seems to me that 298 would work just fine. Is there any compelling reason to go with.301neck? Everything I am reading says .298 would be fine but I want to be sure. Thanks

I'd stick with .298

FWIW I just loaded some 6.5 SAUM rounds with the 142 ABLR in brand new ADG brass. I didn't do any prep, just dipped the necks in Redding graphite and loaded em up.

All 15 necks measure .2930 to .2935.

most will recommend .004-.006 clearance. at .298 that puts the ADG brass a little tight but I would test it out and then turn necks if necessary.
ADG brass has thick necks and one of my lots is .0165 and will need turning for my needs.

I've been down this no turn neck thing with 6.5's, my first attempt was .301 no turn with 6.5x300wsm I struggled with consistent groups. Next go round I had my reamer ground to .296 NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE!. I'm a firm believer it was because of neck tension difference in the brass because of thicker necks.
It was the only thing I changed on the secound go round.
.296 neck and around .180 freebore works great in most 6.5's.
Neck turning is not a bad thing more benefits than not especially if you start doing wildcat cartridges

I'm in the middle of a 6.5 saum build and I have a couple questions. I already ordered a 7.5 twist 26 inch barrel but I need to give them the freebore and neck that I would like. I plan on shooting berger and hornady 140s or heavier mostly. I would rather not neck turn if I don't need to. I have 300 6.5 saum brass so I won't be necking down from 300 or 7mm saum. So my question is what freebore and neck size would be best for me? I see .120 with a .296 neck mentioned a lot but is this no neck turn? Do they make a no neck turn reamer. any help would be appreciated. thanks
I was recommended .298 neck for no neck turning. I went with the .298 neck and .081 freebore. I needed shorter freebore because I was limited on mag length. I would not recommend the .296 neck if you don't want to neck turn. You may get away with not neck turning in a .296 neck but I do believe you will see pressure earlier than you would with a .298 and non neck turned brass