6.5 PRC

I have an MOA Rifles 6.5 PRC only used 135 Berger Classic Hunter in 1st gun on both mule deer and antelope! Now have another one that was built with Benchmark Carbon and new MX8 Nightforce. Shot it today with 156 Berger in ADG brass and H1000 and also RL26! Shot .33 and .27MOA at 200y. Going to use it on at least one elk, a couple antelope and an Eastern CO mule deer!

I have an MOA Rifles 6.5 PRC only used 135 Berger Classic Hunter in 1st gun on both mule deer and antelope! Now have another one that was built with Benchmark Carbon and new MX8 Nightforce. Shot it today with 156 Berger in ADG brass and H1000 and also RL26! Shot .33 and .27MOA at 200y. Going to use it on at least one elk, a couple antelope and an Eastern CO mule deer!
whereabouts E colo

wasn't trying to be nosey. I live in E Co

I finally got a chance to try my 6.5 PRC. Thinking I would be shooting at least 200 yds, I shot a Nice Ky whitetail using a Berger 156 EOL at 40 yds. DRT

I finally got a chance to try my 6.5 PRC. Thinking I would be shooting at least 200 yds, I shot a Nice Ky whitetail using a Berger 156 EOL at 40 yds. DRT
What happened with the bullet? I'm shooting those on my Coues deer hunt at the end of Nov. I have great accuracy out of that bullet.

What velocity with 156 bergers?
If your addressing me my 26in barrel is running the 156 Bergers around 3040-3045fps with 58.2gr of H1000. That's measured initially with a Magneto Speed then by checking with dialed elevation at 500 and 700 yards. My barrel is past the speed up point so my velocities have settled out to a stable point. I think you might get a little higher with RL26. The velocity I'm getting puts my velocity over 1900fps/1000yards in the elevations and temps I usually hunt Coues deer at.

Thank you. Vance. Have you been able to test the bergers against eldx/eldm on animals? Wondering if its worth building a load for 156 or keep the higher velocity with 140 berger or 143 eldm.

Thank you. Vance. Have you been able to test the bergers against eldx/eldm on animals? Wondering if its worth building a load for 156 or keep the higher velocity with 140 berger or 143 eldm.
Seen the ELDx work great on Coues deer as well. But that was from a 7mm LRM. One shot was crazy long, 934 yards. The bullet went in near the diaphragm, angled across exiting the offside shoulder. The bullet basically travelled the length of the vitals from the back to the front. The deer took a couple of steps and collapsed dead. The second deer was shot at 512 yards. The bullet went straight through the center of the vitals and deer dropped where it stood. I'd say the effect on game is similar between the Berger's and the ELD Hornady bullets. But, I think you will be disappointed in their performance if most of your shots are 300 yards or less. A bonded bullet would be better at short ranges. Where we hunt Coues deer most shots range from 300-800yards with most in the 400-600 range with precision long range rifles. So we get great performance from these long range cup and core bullets. If I had to make a close shot I'd shoot for the neck shoulder junction to quickly collapse it and miss the front shoulder.

Did some real world testing these last 2 weeks. I loaded up 140 partitions for bear , a light load of 147 ELD-M's for deer for my daughter, and 156's for me. Point of aim for all 3 loads were within 1". She shot a buck with the partitions at 97 yards... high spine so not a great test. Later that day she shot a young doe at 94 yards with the 147's and hit it behind the shoulder and came out half way back the gut. The exit hole was the size of a quarter. Fairly destructive internally.

I shot 3 doe all big mature ones with the 156's going 2952 FPS. One at 100 yards.. slight quartering too I put it behind the shoulder taking out the near side Lung and liver then exiting on the edge of the guts. Lower lung was destroyed and the liver was unrecognizable for a minute till I realized what it was and the exit broke 2 ribs and a 1 1/4" exit hole.
Doe 2 was 342 yards quartering too me.. I put it thru the point of the shoulder completely hammering the shoulder putting a 4"x2" gaping hole into the cavity blowing the near lung and liver to shreds bullets shrapnel was found just inside the hide in front of the hind quarter on the far side as it didn't exit the deer. Massive blood bruise from spine to brisket which sucked but it is what it is.
Doe 3 was 652 yards. Slight quartering too I hit high and back. About mid deer and 4" below top of deer breaking its spine and stopping in front of the hind quarter at the hide. I found no pieces but I didn't really look all that hard. Bullet expanded about 2" on the 2 ribs going in and opposite side was about the same. I wasn't overly impressed with the 652 yard performance as I feel that it should have exited. I guess the spine sucked up a lot of energy.very little meat bruising on this shot too.

these pics are of my 342 yard shot.

Attachments

• 18B78EFA-A32A-4CC4-A7E3-76408D7152D3.jpeg
    18B78EFA-A32A-4CC4-A7E3-76408D7152D3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 179
  • 84674CBE-9101-4C98-911A-1184301F09BA.jpeg
    84674CBE-9101-4C98-911A-1184301F09BA.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 177
Thank you both. Awaiting a new 6.5 prc and trying to decide what load to use. That is fantastic data i really appreciate it. I think i will try the 140 bergers as ive heard so much about the eldx failing. You mentioned bonded bullets? Which ones? Its tough to say distance. We never know if we will have a 30 yd shot or a 450 yd shot. Something that performs well for both?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.