6.5 prc mod 70 classic wsm feeding issue

stazmania

I have a 6.5 prc built on a Winchester classic wsm action. The gun feeds the first round out of the chamber perfectly off the right side of the magazine box but the next round off the left side noses across the action before the rim/head off the cartridge come out from under the feed rail and the control round feed of the bolt can pick the cartridge up. If the bolt is forced the round will chamber but not ideal. Has anyone had this problem and found a fix? Thanks for any help

I haven't dealt with the problem yet, though I think I'm about have a similar problem with a different cartridge. My guess, underline guess, would be the left side feed lip toward the chamber needs to be opened a little to allow the cartridge to stay to the left which in turn should allow the next cartridge below to push up a little and guide the feeding cartridge from the right side. H-S Precision has a tool for this which I have ordered to try and remedy my situation. Again, no experience but I'm about to attempt the same in a Winny short action.

I had a m70 standard length do this once. I was pretty young with no experience with this problem, so took it to a gunsmith. Turned out the follower spring wasn't installed right not allowing it to shift back and forth causing it to bind to one side.
Not positive this is your issue but might be worth looking at. Simple and cheap!

Had this same issue when I converted a 300WSM CRF to a 6CM. I ordered a 6.5CM mag box, spring, and follower from Winchester Arms. The mag box was narrower and had the spacer in the rear. Feeds a lot better now. Cycles all 4 but I have not rushed one. Case dimensions are close on width-PRC @ 0.532 VS WSM @ 0.555 so it might just be the follower. FN model fit my Classic New Haven just fine.
I did build a 6.5PRC on a long action 264WM donor and everything worked fine w/ original 264 box and follower. M-70 Extreme. You can PM me if needed.

I have a 6.5 prc built on a Winchester classic wsm action. The gun feeds the first round out of the chamber perfectly off the right side of the magazine box but the next round off the left side noses across the action before the rim/head off the cartridge come out from under the feed rail and the control round feed of the bolt can pick the cartridge up. If the bolt is forced the round will chamber but not ideal. Has anyone had this problem and found a fix? Thanks for any help
I have several control round feed rifles. Long, short, and medium. Defiance XM, MRC, zastava Mauser, most are Zermatt. IMO follower spring is a big part of the puzzle. Lighter the better and equal press front and back. The feed rails should be the absolute last thing to touch. Also the shape of the follower. Jon Beanland tuned a 28nosler in a long action Zermatt SR3 that cycles like butter. He's a busy guy but maybe worth the effort.

I've encountered this ssue many times mosty with military receivers but happens with commercial actions as well from time to time, many times a follower and different spring will correct the problem, if you have other rifles you can swap from, I'd start there, most springs and followers are pretty much universal when it comes to swapping them around, if you are lucky this will fix the problem, sometime tweaking the mag box will do the trick, and sometimes A dremel is required.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great response/ input, I have a wyatt 6.5 prc follower on the way, to try. I considered different followers/narrower and shimming the inside of the box to get the round out from under the feed rail sooner or a standard box and follower and shimming the outside of the box. I did not consider the the spring a the potential problem. Again thanks for the help and input your experiences sure beat trying to reinvent the wheel.

Often on mauser style extracters if the hooked part that grabs the rim of the case is a little long it will not allow the case to easily slip up the face of the bolt which will keep it pointed incorrectly . take the bolt out of the rifle and slip a cartridge up the face of the bolt under the extracter and make shure it is not restricting the cartridge from slipping up the face.

Check the face of the bolt, extractor fit, firing pin hole, extractor or extractor slot and the edge of the magazine lips or magazine lips in receiver for burrs. A burr will grab into a brass cartridge and drag the case till the bullet tip, or shell body, Is out of line with the chamber. It may be the follower or spring causing the problem. Remove the shell if it jams, And check for scratches, May tell cause of problem.

Changing a magazine from 1 cartridge to another, Only .020 thousandth difference, But in a staggered left right feed magazine it is .040 difference, And problems can arise.

Kinda funny. I've got this exact same conversion going on. Got a SS Classic in 300WSM re-barreling to 6.5 PRC. It's at my smiths right now and I too thought the WSM mag box and follower would be close enough to work. After this post, I called Winchester Arms (800.322.4626) parts Monday morning and ordered a PRC mag box, follower, and spring. $71.00 plus the ride. Ordered for the M-70 EW in 6.5PRC so it would be SS. I've got the 1340 mag box, follower, and bolt for WSM from my 6mmCM build left over here at the house to compare it once it arrives. Extractor claw should be good. PRC rim 0.532 vs WSM 0.535. As mentioned on my previous post, FN mag box dropped right in on my 6CM build. Bolts are different due to thread pitch at safety mechanism. Classics have square cut thread pitch. I'll post again once I receive.

Last edited:
When I put mine together I also had a couple of long action classics one in 300 rum and one in 7 rm. I ran/cycled the 6.5 prc ammo through the mag and started up into the chamber and everything seemed perfect, there was plenty of room/length in the mag box for the 6.5 cartridge to move forward and slide toward the center of the magazine box and be picked up by the bolt, bullet would have been able to be seated out a mile, I would have been able to shoot harpoons, but then I caught the 28 nosler bug and only the wsm actions where left. Both 28 noslers feed perfectly. I thing if I can get the left bank cartridge out from under the feedrail a little sooner the bolt will pick it up and straighten it out as it move forward into the camber. I will post my fix when I find it and hope you will do the same.

Well the parts from Winchester arrived. Same mag box, not sure on spring, but definitely different follower. Funny is the follower is the shorter one like for 2.8 instead of 3.0 mag box so it has pretty big gap fore and aft. WSM follower on the left.

Attachments

• 6.5PRC M-70.jpg
    6.5PRC M-70.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 64
If the new prc magazine box is the same width as the wsm box and the only differences turn out to be the follower what an easy fix. Is the standard box narrower than the wsm box? My wyatt prc followers arrived today and they look narrow, they are made for the wyatt prc kit that is for a remington. I am looking forward to hearing your results.

Same exact box. 1340. I thought it might be but also thought it might have 2 vertical stamped grooves to narrow it where the shell rides like the CM box did. Notice the notch on each side of the new follower? Usually for a stamped box narrower. The CM box is the same dimensions but with the 2.8 spacer spot welded in rear and 2 stamped narrowers on each side. I doubt the Wyatts box setup will work for you. Way too short overall vertically. I'll call Winchester today to verify they sent the correct mag box. Has to be 3.0 due to SAAMI spec 6.5PRC COAL of 2.955, just not sure if it should have the stamped narrower. I dropped off 3 builds at my smiths and didn't specify any order so it might be awhile before I get it back. I see you now have enough posts so I can PM you.
Also note, I ordered these parts Monday and received them Wednesday. Pretty good service in my opinion.