6.5 PRC Barrel Length 24"vs 26" Velocity

50 fps velocity gain (or something like that) at the muzzle, is so negligible at distance as to be non-existent. IMHO, why sweat lack of availability of the longer barrel, the extra length of the rifle while tromping through the woods, etc?

Just doesn't seem like it worth it in the real world.

Of course if you are dead set on it and want to play around with loads, by all means.... :)

So did some final testing to get everything squared away for the class. Shooting the 153.5gr Berger with 57.2gr H1000 at 0.1 off the lands gets me 2900 fps out of a 24" with a SilencerCo Hybrid suppressor. One interesting thing I noticed was the velocity change while doing my seating test.

402CEB12-F582-45D6-BD9C-864B027D43BE.jpeg

As you can see on the chart velocity consistently dropped until .1 off the lands at which point it started to level off.

Also on another note I did a quick test of the 119 Flashtips with 57.5gr of StaBall, average velocity of 3370 so I'm thinking I should be able to get in the low to mid 3300's with the 122 class bullets for hunting.

Love seeing data—this is great.

How did the 0.1" OL group?

According to [edit: Precision Rifle] article on seating depth that has been floating around here lately, often one finds a very forgiving seating depth node around 0.1" that will be tolerant to throat erosion and still maintain similar accuracy throughout that growth.

Last edited:
Love seeing data—this is great.

How did the 0.1" OL group?

According to the Rifle Shooter article on seating depth that has been floating around here lately, often one finds a very forgiving seating depth node around 0.1" that will be tolerant to throat erosion and still maintain similar accuracy throughout that growth.

I saw the one from precision rifle blog which lead me to test that much jump. Groups were around .3 MOA so certainly not hurting accuracy. Once I finish up with the class this week I'll start working on hunting loads with the 122 class bullets and StaBall 6.5 to provide additional data for here. Based on a few quick tests I'm thinking high 57's will be the max for the Lehigh's though based on Steve's info on another thread I might have to give his new Hammer design a try when they are released.

Yes—that's the source I was thinking of. It also led me to find a better seating depth for my 147 ELD-M.

I had tested out to 0.080" OL thinking that's plenty short, but I experimented more after reading that and it led me to a sweet spot around 0.090-0.100 that was very tolerant of variances in depth. Glad I tested farther OL.

Yes—that's the source I was thinking of. It also led me to find a better seating depth for my 147 ELD-M.

I had tested out to 0.080" OL thinking that's plenty short, but I experimented more after reading that and it led me to a sweet spot around 0.090-0.100 that was very tolerant of variances in depth. Glad I tested farther OL.
Yes 0ne need to check a string of depths, each rifle likes something different. I went from .010 t .090 and found 2 that were good. after powder charge checking, I went back to confirm the best seating depth. I wound up changing to the second place depth. glad I kept good records. This was 147 ELD-M in 6.5 PRC. you from Brady?

I hear a Banish suppressor will reduce your group size.

for what it's worth, I'm shooting a 24" Proof Sendero light....and 57.0 gr of R26 is pushing a 140 Berger Elite at a hair over 3100fps....3110-3118ish. If I do my job and stay on task it's bug-holing (.25-.35"). I'm not sure what else I could ask for. Although I haven't taken it to longer distances. It's a new build and I live in Va, in an area that doesn't have a ton of opportunities to shoot past 300-400yds.

So far I've got good accuracy with RL26 and H1000. Have Retumbo , N570 ,N565 and RL23 to try yet.
Have Savage Ultralite and Proof SS both with 26". Proof is in Rem long mag action BY THE WAY. Both 6.5 PRC. Proof is set up for steel and anything else out there beyond 800'..... Tried H1000, Retumbo and Re26 under 140VLD, 147, 153.5, and both weapons definitely preferred Retumbo, hands down, outshot other two powders.....Stayed under 3000fps for consistent accuracy with RETUMBO!!!!!!!!

Have Savage Ultralite and Proof SS both with 26". Proof is in Rem long mag action BY THE WAY. Both 6.5 PRC. Proof is set up for steel and anything else out there beyond 800'..... Tried H1000, Retumbo and Re26 under 140VLD, 147, 153.5, and both weapons definitely preferred Retumbo, hands down, outshot other two powders.....Stayed under 3000fps for consistent accuracy with RETUMBO!!!!!!!!
I have a lot of it ! Use in 300 RUM, 300 win mag and 7mm Rem mag .

Believe it or not I have had good luck with Norma 217 powder and 156 bergers in the 6.5 prc. It has a slight edge over Reloader 26 for accuracy in my rifle. Thought I would toss this out there for anyone that may have some laying around.