Rifle barrel lengths vs velocity?

zr600

Ok for my carry coyote calling rifle currently I shooting a 22-243. Has a heavy 26" barrel plus I use a can. Now I'm building another rifle for the same use. I have two cartridges in mind 22-243ai, and a 22creedmoor. I'm currently shooting the 75g Amax at 3500fps. Now if I go down to a 22" barrel how much velocity will I be loosing? I'm trying to think if it's worth it to go longer or shorter to be more handy. I plan on shooting the 85.5 Berger's, we get a lot of long range shots and have to deal with wind. Might shoot 80.5g Berger's too. Will be a #5 barrel with twisted flutes threads 5/8 for the can. I have the action already Bighorn origin, stock is Mesa altitude, Hawkins precision m5, trigger tech trigger. Now to pick what cartridge and barrel length. I know for sure have access to the 22-243ai reamer.

In my experience when you go from like 26" down to 24" you lose about 30-40fps per inch. I would say going from 26" down to 22" would have you lose about 150fps give or take a little.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.