6.5 prc - adg brass question

samson

Good Afternoon, I just purchased a 6.5 PRC rifle (that isn't ready yet) and got a shipment of ADG Brass. I've never used ADG but have been very impressed so far. My question is on what bushing to use in my die. I know the Hornady Brass bushings are .289 or .290 and am wondering if they are similar. Any help is appreciated. I don't know if ADG is thicker brass that the Hornady.

How much difference in case wall thickness is there between ADG and Hornady if they are the same use the same bushing. If not here is a formula from another conversation you could use. These are just guess numbers I put in.

Your chamber neck size? You want a minimum of .003" clearance and a max of .005". Ex: for .004" clearance. Bullet size .264+ neck wall thickness of .013"x2 equals .026
.264+ 026 is .290 so you would use a .290" busing for .002" fit and .004" clearance"

I will have to check. I haven't purchased any Hornady brass but I think ADG May be a bit thicker.

I know my ADG in my 338SS is the same as remenigton SAUM so I didn't have change bushings. But every brass maker is slightly different.

If you're using an expander mandrel I don't think it will matter. If you feel resistance on the up stroke that is what is setting your neck tension. If you don't feel any then start measuring your bushings and get a smaller one. I honestly doubt there is much difference though. I think most manufacturer's shoot for .013-.016 thickness. My guess is adg is right in there.

.290 is pretty standard for .264 based cartridges. You should be fine.

Thanks for the topic here guys. I am new to the forum and find the exchanges I have read very informative and free from all the bantering that seems to go on elsewhere. Very constructive and educational. I have been reloading at a basic level for years for my standard hunting rounds but want to step up to the higher precision that better components and the matchmaster dies offer. I just purchased a new Seekins 6.5 PRC and am trying to get set up to dial it in to what I know it should be capable of...Unfortunately, I continue to wait to try and get the supplies I need to get the job done. Wondering if brentc happened to have tried any other size or if the .290 was so great that you just stopped there.....I am going to use the ADG brass as well. Curious where you started in your workup process and how the final load ended up.

6.5 PRC ADG brass is very good, I really like what I have, and want to get more when it becomes available. The additional thickness in the cases is more in the head and lower case not the neck. So, case volume is slightly less and loads may need to be reduced slightly, but cases should take higher pressure and last longer.

6.5 PRC ADG brass is very good, I really like what I have, and want to get more when it becomes available. The additional thickness in the cases is more in the head and lower case not the neck. So, case volume is slightly less and loads may need to be reduced slightly, but cases should take higher pressure and last longer.
Do run dies with bushings when developing your loads? If so, what neck diameter did you go with?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.