6.5 PRC 156 load development

I would imagine they don't and don't the know difference in 100 fps either. 10 grains more powder you'd sure expect a more performance I'd think. I would not be happy with the additional recoil, barrel destruction, and lack of performance with a small gap like that. Then again, we have people on here running a short action round in a long action thinking that .050 thousands is going to miraculously send them into long action magnum territory performance. Might as well run a 6.5 RPM, 6.5-300, etc.
its a conservative load in a 24 inch barrel, no pressure signs, shoots pretty good though, It's a hunting rifle so will only get used for that, not a target rifle so barrel should outlive me.

Last edited:
I for one am not chasing 3000fps with a 156 EOL with the 6.5 PRC. I just wanted a new rifle with correct twist rate on the barrel for the bullets I could load in it.

My ruger american 6.5 PRC is a sweet rifle with a magazine that allows me to load as long as I want and I can load as much or little powder as I want in the 6.5 PRC case so I can run loads at a Hot 6.5CM levels an the brass will last forever and I can also make loads just for hunting at 6.5PRC levels and not wear out brass or barrel.

I expect it to be a popular round that I will also be able to get Ammo for off the shelves on hunting trips unlike some other cartridges mentioned. My rifle is shooting bug holes with Factory Hornady 143 ELD-X Ammo so I am set for Deer and Antelope out as far as I can shoot on any given hunting trip with factory Ammo. 156 EOL is just so I can hopefully get 270 win terminal performance on bigger stuff at a little better range then the 270 win is useful at. It is not a 7RM or 300WM for hunting, but it will be a fun target gun and serve me well hunting out to 500 yards on almost anything.

I know this thread is a little old but I just got my 6.5PRC from the classifieds. I loaded up some 156 EOL and 55.5 grains of RL26 with a CCI200 primer. I have to jump them about .09 because of mag length. Initial 3 shots are .5 MOA but pretty good ejector mark with Hornady brass. I use a bushing die and have a clean barrel/chamber. Seems like this load should be moderate in about every thread I have read. I have H1000, N565, H4831SC, and many more but wanted to get some feedback. I have a 22 inch 8 twist barrel.

I know this thread is a little old but I just got my 6.5PRC from the classifieds. I loaded up some 156 EOL and 55.5 grains of RL26 with a CCI200 primer. I have to jump them about .09 because of mag length. Initial 3 shots are .5 MOA but pretty good ejector mark with Hornady brass. I use a bushing die and have a clean barrel/chamber. Seems like this load should be moderate in about every thread I have read. I have H1000, N565, H4831SC, and many more but wanted to get some feedback. I have a 22 inch 8 twist barrel.
Hard bolt lift? Hard to extract? Is it new brass or multiple fired?

Once fired Hornady brass. No stiff bolt but a pretty good ejector mark. I did not have the lab Radar set up so not sure of the speed. My dies seem to be sizing brass right now as I get no bolt click or signs of expanded line at the .200 mark as I have read. That may change after a few times fired but right now is good. I run the brass through a body die after sizing.

Once fired Hornady brass. No stiff bolt but a pretty good ejector mark. I did not have the lab Radar set up so not sure of the speed. My dies seem to be sizing brass right now as I get no bolt click or signs of expanded line at the .200 mark as I have read. That may change after a few times fired but right now is good. I run the brass through a body die after sizing.
Ok. It's off you are seeing any signs at 55.5 with hornady. I run 55.5 with adg and it's much heavier brass. I'd check speed and see where you are and back off .5 to 55. If you are getting speed and no pressure then you may just have a tight chamber is all.

55.5 R26 should be just fine. Ejector marks are not the tell-all of pressure.

I personally have found N565 to shoot the 156 EOL better in my rifle, but you do seem to have all the desirable powders for the caliber in your stash!

I just got done washing the rain gutters and soffits on the house so I will start checking things. There is a lot of bullet in the case neck but I need to make sure everything is right. I calibrated my Chargemaster before I loaded them and I double checked to make sure I did indeed load the 200 primers so now I will start down the variable elimination path.

I only have 25 rounds of Hornady brass. I need to find ADG brass in the future but I know it's not possible right now.

I just got done washing the rain gutters and soffits on the house so I will start checking things. There is a lot of bullet in the case neck but I need to make sure everything is right. I calibrated my Chargemaster before I loaded them and I double checked to make sure I did indeed load the 200 primers so now I will start down the variable elimination path.
I run 2.951 coal.

I'm at 2.910 right now. But can come out another 20-30 thousandths from what I just measured. No plate in the mag and I MAY be able to make them 2.95 or real close.