6.5 PRC 156 load development

I just received some 6.5 PRC ammunition from UnknownMunitions.com... the Berger 156 EOL. According to their specs they used H4831SC with Fed 215 Match. Haven't shot them yet so I comment how well they perform, they advertise 2900 fps w/ Hornady brass. When in stock they also use ADG and Norma brass.

My Unknown Munitions 156 Berger load was ADG brass, 215m, H1000.
Shot well, from my PRC.
But given the reported problem with dies not resizing properly I'm going with the 6.5 MAX on my next barrel.

Last edited:
Great info guys. I'm about to start working on a 6.5 PRC with a Mauser Long Action so I'm not limited by 3" COAL. I can stick the 156 Bergers right close to the lands where they like to be and hopefully open enough space up to get 3000fps without pressure issues. I'll let you know!

Great info guys. I'm about to start working on a 6.5 PRC with a Mauser Long Action so I'm not limited by 3" COAL. I can stick the 156 Bergers right close to the lands where they like to be and hopefully open enough space up to get 3000fps without pressure issues. I'll let you know!
I'm at 3000-3100 with the 156 Berger using IMR8133

Or a 6.5 SAUM
Ill bet it'd push the 156 3000 with H1000, I can run the 147's at 3100 with that powder in a 25" barrel.
Now that ADG is making brass I'll stay with the saum forever.
man thats what im hoping for when my 6.5 saum gets here but its a 1:8 and 24" barrel guess worse case i can run the 140 vld or elite hunter and same my 280ai and 168ABLRs for bigger stuff/

man thats what im hoping for when my 6.5 saum gets here but its a 1:8 and 24" barrel guess worse case i can run the 140 vld or elite hunter and same my 280ai and 168ABLRs for bigger stuff/
It should not be that hard. I run a 156 at 2915 in a 22". Im on my 6th reload and tight pockets so I know my loads are not hammering brass. Some people are going to be very unhappy by the time they get that point and their primers won't hold. h1000, 565, and rl26 all seem to get the speed without the pressure spike.

I had my smith set up the throat for the long bullets (147 ELDM at the time 2018) such that their base was just above the neck shoulder junction when their ogives were in the lands. This provides basically max powder space. If you still need to get your chamber cut I would talk to your smith about this to wring the most performance you can from your internal ballistics. I guess with a fine cutter an existing throat could be extended a small amount as well.

I haven't shot any for groups yet but here are some results with a 26in barrel using a medium action which allows the bullet to be seat out of the powder column. These we shot over the trusty Magneto Speed :)

This was Hornady brass and BR-2 Primers.

View attachment 144646

I think I'm going to try 58.2 for groups. I still have some case so I'm going to push the 8133 up through the 59s.

Still haven't hit pressure with either powder.
I'm using 60 grains of H1000 haven't chrono it but it hits constantly out to 1000 and have hit a mile on 3rd shot and then 3 in a row. Hoping to take it out again soon

I just received some 6.5 PRC ammunition from UnknownMunitions.com... the Berger 156 EOL. According to their specs they used H4831SC with Fed 215 Match. Haven't shot them yet so I comment how well they perform, they advertise 2900 fps w/ Hornady brass. When in stock they also use ADG and Norma brass.
I just looked at my load from last summer that is similar components:

156 EOL with 55.2gr H4831 CCI 200 Primers and bump sized 3rd loading Hornady Brass. COAL is 3.042 with a measured CBTO of 2.342 with my comparator.

According to my Chrono I got 2865fps out of my 24" Ruger American

Lots of nice sub MOA groups working the powder up to that and never saw pressure signs in my rifle ( bullet is seated long and brass is not FL sized ).

The deer don't mind !
I would imagine they don't and don't the know difference in 100 fps either. 10 grains more powder you'd sure expect a more performance I'd think. I would not be happy with the additional recoil, barrel destruction, and lack of performance with a small gap like that. Then again, we have people on here running a short action round in a long action thinking that .050 thousands is going to miraculously send them into long action magnum territory performance. Might as well run a 6.5 RPM, 6.5-300, etc.