6.5 haters

Status
Not open for further replies.
The arrival of the 6.5 Creedmore probably was magic to the many individuals who were scared of their magnums and shot them poorly. Little itty-bitty bullets in the vitals are way more effective than big fast bullets that go random places.

For once, they were marketed something they tried, and actually saw good results.

All of the hype is pretty funny to watch. There's nothing magical about any of this.

Oh but there is! This much fun is positively magical! I can't help it, I start to giggle before I even start reading every time one of these threads comes up. I'm saving' the 1st 13 pages for later when the wife is watching one of her shows. 🤣 🤣🤣

Just gets back to this.

Also- 6.5Swede is not a short action cartridge. Should we compare 6.5-300wby too if we're analyzing different 6.5s without regard for case size? Let me know when you find the best way to seat a 156 Berger into a .260 and still fit it into a standard mag.
Dennis DeMille was a .260 shooter that designed the cartridge for a very specific purpose, which was not so that Hornady could market it and get rich off of twerps at the range annoying you because their $800 Ruger American / Vortex combo can do what you spent years and thousands of dollars to build a custom .260 or Swede to achieve.
Did you get your feelings hurt? I haven't seen a ruger american shoot that good to compete with a cumstom rifle. If it did I would go back to the builder and ask for my money back. The purpose he designed the rifle for was paper targets and shooting a long for caliber bullet out of a short action which at the time was a 140gr. This being said the original was the 284 Winchester so not like he created something all new. As for the case size I am a firm believer in more case capacity. The 156 was created for the extra weight to enable hunters to have a more ethical kill in the CM. Personally I think the 156 is moving way too slow out of CM.

1FDEDA7E-D45E-4C72-A307-91B3A8099454.png

I think the 6.5CM is a great cartridge shot by some who sometimes make bad decisions with it. Which is no different than other cartridges without the "fluff". Know the cartridge limitations.

I truly like 6.5's but just don't have need for one with the cartridges I shoot from .243 to 300WM. The 6.5 list of cartridges is great selection but I have a cartridge that will do job. If just starting out, I would recommend starting with 6.5's just because of efficiency of components. You can't go wrong.

As for the deplorable (😁) .270Win? Browning recognizes the fast twist by offering 1:7.5 tw for the .270 which changes the cartridge dramatically. No different than what the .260 should have been initially. Don't blame the cartridge, blame rigid minded rifle manufacturer bean counters. There is no doubt the technical design ballistic engineers prob wanted faster twist but retooling costs got in way. Many other cartridges fall into same category. Why isn't 300WM 1:8? Same goes for 7RM, .280 and so on. So many cartridges should have had faster twists but $$$ got in way. Many other cartridges will be significantly better if given same design considerations. The action length is background noise IMO.

The recoil argument gets ridiculous. If recoil is YOUR problem, don't assume its everyones problem. I shoot 1 1/4 oz slugs off bench and no issue. Recoil is like how heavy your rifle can be cause its too heavy for me. Heck my size 16H Irish Setter Elk Tracker boots weigh more than most rifles.
D*** Muddy, you got a BIG foot! 😁 😁 😁

Did you get your feelings hurt? I haven't seen a ruger american shoot that good to compete with a cumstom rifle. If it did I would go back to the builder and ask for my money back. The purpose he designed the rifle for was paper targets and shooting a long for caliber bullet out of a short action which at the time was a 140gr. This being said the original was the 284 Winchester so not like he created something all new. As for the case size I am a firm believer in more case capacity. The 156 was created for the extra weight to enable hunters to have a more ethical kill in the CM. Personally I think the 156 is moving way too slow out of CM.
Feelings? Nah- I don't even own a Creedmoor. I just find the constant crapping on it by some to usually be unfair or downright untrue in many cases. There was room for improvement in the space because it turns out there was actually a big market for people that want to shoot short action length cartridges that handle heavy for caliber, high BC bullets.

DeMille designed a cartridge, not a bullet- what you choose to stuff on the end is a different choice and there are plenty of good options for long, heavy for caliber bullets that are excellent for hunting (across many chamberings and diameters). A deer hit with a Muzzy launched from a Hoyt Stratos is just as dead as one launched from an RX-7.

The 156 is not what I would personally select either, but tons of guys find it perfectly acceptable to stuff a 180gr into a .3sl0w8 and get <2,600fps, so I don't have a major issue with it. At least the 156gr 6.5 has a BC that allows it to maintain more of that (already slow) velocity.

Status
Not open for further replies.