6.5 Hammer problem???

Wild rose,
I didn't take pics of the target, and it will be the weekend before I can get back to the range but I will try the 123s again and will take pics for everyone to see. When I did a preliminary ladder I didn't shoot for a group but I dug for bullets and I found a couple, both banana shaped with no expansion from the dry sand backstop. I thought it was odd but I was only aiming at a used target from a previous session. The second trip out with the next test ammo is when I found it was cutting oval holes. This is still in a barrel break in process so it could go away. I have been hobby gunsmithing for 18 years and reloading for almost 40. I'm not an expert by any stretch but have seen a thing or two. This is my maiden voyage with mono bullets other than a box of old Barnes X ten years back(very unhappy experience) so I knew you folks could probably help.
That isn't something that is likely to go away with break in, something is happening to seriously destabilize those bullets.

If/when you can try repeating this and chrony your loads. If you can shoot them at 100, 200 and if possible 300 to see if they are still key holing.

Just a thought but I'd closely inspect my crown to see if somehow it has gotten damaged.

Years ago I knew a guy shooting a brand new rifle that apparently had a flaw right at the point the crown starts causing a big chunk to flake off and that caused him a similar issue.

Cup and core bullets are more forgiving WRT twist rates. If you are marginal, it will show with a mono that is not stable. The banana shape would leave me to believe your barrel is undertwisted.

181s would not stabilize in a 10.25 twist. I only found that after seeing the target and then running a cleaning rod through it. I ordered a 10 tw and it was actually a 10.25.

Stony88,
I have not loaded 140s in a 6.5 PRC. My 153 load is 55.7 gr H1000 for 2889 fps avg, 30 es and shooting about .4 at 100 yds. That's the first load I tried after a quick ladder test. There is room for improvement I'm sure.
My C.A. Ridgeline w/24 in. 1&8 barrel likes 56.0 grs. RL23 w/124 Hammer. 5 shot ragged hole. SD 4 ES 10 ave. 3211 fps.
156 Berger 55.0 grs. RL26
SD 3 ES 6. Ave. 2926 fps. .4 in. 5 shot grp. at 100 yds.
I haven't even tried Retumbo, H1000,N565, 8133 or 7977 yet.
140 Accubond shot good w/58.3 grs. H1000 at 3014 fps ave. but SD and ES were high.
Tried 142 LRAC with 56.0 grs. RL26 for heck of it. Shot good at ave. 3026 fps but SD and ES were fair at best.
I can't find load data on 143 ELDX but I remember it shot good. I've never shot any 140 Berger's out of it. I tried the 153.5 once with same load as 156 and had high pressure. More bearing surface or something but I never tried again. Was plenty happy with 156. Over and out.

Finally got a chance to measure the barrel today and it is a 9 twist. I measured another one I ordered the same day and is a 8 as ordered. I haven't shot it any more but I believe I found the issue. Thanks for your suggestions and God bless.
The 121 gr hammer hunter will work in that 1-9 twist that's what I shoot in my 1-9 6.5-284s I got it up too 3342 with a 26 in Lija with 59 grs of. n N165. .