6.5 Grendel for whitetail

I've used AA2520 and xterminator so far with the 99 HH's. Looking at the burn chart, xterminator should do as good as XBR as it's in the middle of that and 10x. I didn't push the loads. Last time I tried xterminator it was 29.8 grains and I got 2690 with 20" Howa.

Here's a Texas Whitetail taken with the 6.5 Grendel and 120gr Nosler BT. He did not go far, waiting to see the kiddo to hear him tell it again. We guessed him at 145ish, has a broken brow and the edit eliminated both for some weird reason. Quick estimate puts him 138/140ish and a huge smile on the kiddos face. That is one Grendel that will never be sold.

I know a lot of Grendels will be put to use over the next 4-5 days, mine included.

Post harvest

IMG_8215.jpeg

On the hoof

IMG_9945.jpeg
IMG_9947.jpeg

We've (the family) shot 11 deer with the Grendel (13.5" AR Pistol). Two, hit too far back by kids, were never recovered despite an initial heavy blood trail. The other 9 fell within 40 yards, some in their tracks.

In my opinion, it's an excellent round for experienced shooters who have time to place shots in the vitals. Every deer shot in the vitals was a complete pass through, with a silver dollar size exit wound, except one. That round hit high shoulder, broke the spine and lodged in the flank with about 20 inches of penetration. Deer was quartering towards.

External bleeding is more delayed than a high velocity round. If tracking is an issue, shoot them high shoulder, neck or head. Understand this is not a high velocity round. Stick to soft bullets like the SST and ELD – M and keep your shots within 300 yards. Know that shots in the gut are not going to cause enough temporary stretch cavity/spalling to make an efficient kill.

I love the accuracy and light recoil of the Grendel and will continue to use it to take deer, however, I will choose my shots carefully and make sure the rounds go where they should

I currently have a Grendel upper and have never fieed it. I just came across a 6.5 blank with a 9.5 twist. That might get some very good speed in a bolt gun shooting lite bullets. Have yet to decide.