6.5 Grendel for whitetail

I have two CZ rifles and I agree that they make a quality firearm. I wanted to pick up one in 6.5 Grendel for a centerfire rifle my son could start out shooting on since it has such a mild recoil. I hesitated to long and like you said they've been discontinued.
Price doubled when CZ made the discontinue announcement. Paid little over $600 for mine, they were on gun broker at $1300 plus.

I have two CZ rifles and I agree that they make a quality firearm. I wanted to pick up one in 6.5 Grendel for a centerfire rifle my son could start out shooting on since it has such a mild recoil. I hesitated to long and like you said they've been discontinued.
I was wanting a bolt action Grendel for my son also but the only factory options are the CZ, Howa, and Ruger American. Unless there are more currently. I was wanting one with a flush magazine or hinged floor plate. Think factory Model 7 hinged floor plate, 16-20 inch barrel chambered in 6.5 Grendel.

For me the cost outweighed the benefits as I didn't want to use my Model 7 300BLK as a donor.
I ended up with a Rokslide special, Tikka T3x stainless 8 twist 223 cut down to 18" in a factory compact stock with a Leupold VX-R 2-7.

I was wanting a bolt action Grendel for my son also but the only factory options are the CZ, Howa, and Ruger American. Unless there are more currently. I was wanting one with a flush magazine or hinged floor plate. Think factory Model 7 hinged floor plate, 16-20 inch barrel chambered in 6.5 Grendel.

For me the cost outweighed the benefits as I didn't want to use my Model 7 300BLK as a donor.
I ended up with a Rokslide special, Tikka T3x stainless 8 twist 223 cut down to 18" in a factory compact stock with a Leupold VX-R 2-7.
There is BDL style bottom metal available for the Howa mini.

Have not turned the Grendels loose on deer yet but the CZ527 and 20" BCA barreled AR have taken quite a few antelope from 157 yards to 435 yards. None of them took more than a step! The 100,120 and 123 ELDs have been the bullet of choice for all six.
This falls victim fell at 157
EB397DB2-BC4F-4B90-9A6B-3429725943C1.jpeg.jpg

The CZ dropped this 80" buck a few years ago at 409 yards
20190923_162629.jpg

Last edited:
Have not turned the Grendels loose on deer yet but the CZ527 and 20" BCA barreled AR have taken quite a few antelope from 157 yards to 435 yards. None of them took more than a step! The 100,120 and 123 ELDs have been the bullet of choice for all six.
This falls victim fell at 157
View attachment 407080
The CZ dropped this 80" buck a few years ago at 409 yards
View attachment 407085
Good shooting!

I get nervous when I hear of someone using a 6.5 Grendel for deer. Had a client last year shoot a heck of a buck (scored 178) at 143 yards quartering away. She hit 4 ribs back from the shoulder, bullet would have exited the right shoulder, but it didn't make it that far. Didn't even touch the vitals in fact. Took 8 people and 39 miles of collective grid searching to find it. She was shooting a howa with 123 grain factory loads.

Stories like that seem to happen with every caliber/bullet combination.
Unfortunately I have only shot one deer with the Grendel. 90-100lb doe at 50 yards. Broadside shot in the crease of the shoulder hit a rib and turned towards the offside shoulder where it exited. Tons of damage it actually ruined the entire offside shoulder. Doe only went about 10 feet and dropped. Using hand loaded 123 SST's at around 2200fps out of a 12" barrel.

I get nervous when I hear of someone using a 6.5 Grendel for deer. Had a client last year shoot a heck of a buck (scored 178) at 143 yards quartering away. She hit 4 ribs back from the shoulder, bullet would have exited the right shoulder, but it didn't make it that far. Didn't even touch the vitals in fact. Took 8 people and 39 miles of collective grid searching to find it. She was shooting a howa with 123 grain factory loads.
That's the problem on some jacketed bullets on a angling shot , the jacket becomes separated from the core , causing little penetration. I wouldn't call it failure on the 6.5 Grendel's part , but much more exceeding the capabilities of the bullet at that angling shot. That's my experience

Most likely123 ELDM , target bullet.

Most likely123 ELDM , target bullet.
I would guess. I mean there are obviously better choices out there. Where the grendel has it's niche is in the ar platform. In a bolt action the creedmoor is a better choice. With proper shot placement and the right bullet inside 200 yds maybe 300 it will get the job done.