6.5 GAP 4s Relaoding problems.

Prieto9000

Hey guys.
I´m running into a lot of trouble reloading for my 6.5 GAP. I'm using hornady headstamped brass and whidden Gunworks dies for the task.
The problem is I can't get the right amount of lube to get nice sized cases. I get a lot of dented shoulders consisten to excess lube but if I use a little less lube I get stuck cases on the sizing die. I loose 4-5 cases every time I reload a 50rd box. I'm not new to reloading and I've never had this problem with any other caliber. I don't know if it is a problem associated with the caliber itself, maybe the sizing die has something wrong or maybe there is something that has to do with the Squirrel S**t. I really hate dented cases and I hate stuck cases even more.
I started using RCBS lube pad with RCBS lube. This was a dented shoulder nightmare, then I switched to Hornady one shot case lube and got a little less dented shoulders but still some of them. out of a 50 Rd box I get:
20-25 Dented shoulders
20-25 Perfect cases
4-5 stuck cases

I´ve cleaned and degreased my die a couple times and it looked clean. I bought a hornady 6.5 Necksizer die to avoid resizing every time, but Saum cases are too wide to fit inside it.

I would be calling Whidden and talking with them. Have you tried Redding imperial lube? Works great for me for forming cases.

I had the same problem with my whidden dies. I also had a recent thread for dented casings.

I solved the problem by using hornady wax and applying a minimal amount to the bottom 2/3 or 3/4 of the brass. Nothing at all on the neck/shoulder/and top portion and it has solved my problem. There is no vent releif hole in whidden dies and you had to make sure to wipe the die out every ~50 pieces sized, maybe even more frequent.

I have used a whidden FL Bushing die on mine and have never had any problems with dented shoulders or stuck cases, but I always used imperial or Hornady sizing wax so maybe that's the ticket...

I have since moved back to my Redding 7mm rsaum bushing die with a 6.5mm bushing as I was getting too much run out from my whidden die in my coax press... think it has to do with the fact that the FL whidden dies are made shorter than spec by 0.010" or so, and it wasn't touching/squaring off on my shell holder plate when I was just bumping the shoulder 0.002"...

Dented shoulders aren't the end of the world, they will fireform back out no problem...

Orch

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.