6.5 creedmoor vs remington 260

Any one shoots long range mostly reloads being to expensive and time consuming finding a factory load. I think the big draw is the name creedmore. that is the attraction conjures up illusions of that famed long range match. the difference in between them is like the difference between coke and pepsi

You'd be surprised how many don't reload
alot of the prs shooters shoot factory hornady loads rather than reload.

I give the edge to the 260 because of brass life etc..
But own a couple of each and they all shoot well.

Jordan@406

406 makes a good point. HSM and Hornady both make some amazing factory ammo if your rifle likes it. I shot hornady in the 260 and HSM in the 7mm. Both are good enough to take hunting or to a LR mountain match like the vortex challenge.

So I picked up the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 creedmoor on Gun Broker. Loaded up a duplicate of the factory 140 gr Amax load which is :

Oal 2.820"
41.7 gr H4350
Fed 210M
Hornady Brass

Amazing, literally shot 3/4" at 100 yards first five shots down the barrel. With the magneto speed strapped to the barrel shifted POI up exactly 1" with 1/2" group, 2640 FPS, es of 13. Next 5 shots right back to original POI 1/2" group. Would like to get the ES down to single digits but probably won't fool with anything until I get a few more down the barrel. My only negatives ( and I feel bad saying anything bad) with the gun is says trigger can go to 3 lbs but I can't get it any lighter than a tick below 4 and the bolt has a funny hitch when closing that isn't real smooth. But for the money those are very minor issues, who could complain. :)

Good to hear more good feedback. On the gun I've ordered one with my local dealer he does not know when one will become available. Purchased a vortex viper hs lr to go on it found a deal couldn't pass up. Might have to put it on something else while I wait for the ruger american predator 6.5 creedmoor to come available.

Ive found the bolt to be very awkward, it takes a bit getting used to, but heck for $300 can you really complain???? I'm at 200 rounds with it now and it seems to have gotten better.

I just love how stupid accurate this little gun is.....the best part of all? i could care less if it fell off my motorcycle while pushing through brush, the bluing could wear off, and i could really give a rip.

Ive actually considered re barreling if lilja ever makes a prefit - wouldn't that be a hoot. Keep her creedmoor only with a 28 inch bbl. boy she'd sure be ugly!gun)

I built a 260 off a savage action and it's really fun to shoot. I have only got out to 400 yards on paper and it keeps Moa. Longest animal shot was at 350 and it hammered it with 120 ttsx.

I am shooting a Ruger American Predator in a 6.5 creedmoor as well. I will ditto exactly every thing that North Idaho Hunter said except I am shooting factory 140 Amaxs. No bolt problems at all. Very accurate.

Bdpayne2000, when I emptied a factory round I got 43.3 grains of something in the 140 Amax not 41.7.

I have tried Superperformance, IMR4350, and Reloader 17 and they all have shot very well.

I love this gun.

That recipe I loaded came from this site which was written in 2008 when Hornady actually printed the load data right on the box. My guess is once components got short they couldn't get H4350 and went with an alternate powder and also removed the load from the box. I don't know but would expect your factory loads are not H4350.

IMO...the only thing the 6.5 Creed has over the 260 ..is its shorter case..allows for longer bullets to be loaded out longer and still feed from magazine.....

If you don't load your own precision rifle ammo, you're missing out on a big part of the hobby! My $0.02 and many would agree.

If you do reload then you'll appreciate the big advantage in both consistency and case head strength offered by Lapua brass.

It's true the 6.5 Creemoor will better fit a short action rifle and feed from the magazine with long bullets. However, a 6.5x47 Lapua does the same and offers much better and stronger brass. Too bad more factory rifles aren't chambered for it. Without running it through QuickLoad, my guess is it will slightly outpace the Creemoor in spite of a case capacity shortfall. Due to the stronger case head permitting higher pressures.

Finally got the 6.5 Predator out and put a little distance between me and the target. Shoot three 4 shot groups at 600 which were right at 4". Looks like right now it's a 3/4 MOA gun with me behind the trigger. Pretty good for the price.

lots of threads on this subject. Bottom line is that they are so close in many ways that it comes down to personal preference. I have a 6.5 CM in the Savage Predator model and it is a tack driver for sure.

I agree. I have to say that every time I shoot that 6.5 CM I am continually impressed by it.... What a nice round to shoot....

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.