6.5 Creedmoor for moose

Logan and I took a load of fill back to our target area Well some of the blocks weren't broken so we decided to shoot them? Logan had his 6.5 CM a nice rifle he gets plenty of deer with it. I had my 338LM Well when they hit a block at 200 yards a 140 VLD
is no where as impressive as a 300SMK! The Creed breaks it the Lapua blows it up!!
No comparison!!

I've killed multiple moose (Shirus, Canadian, Alaskan)! Years of hunting the north country has taught me to be prepared! After a Grizzly confrontation in AK and a couple close calls with cow moose defending there calves and a rutting bull moose who tried in thick brush to hurt me and prove that he was as dangerous as a Cape buffalo, I go prepared even if I'm out just salmon fishing! Short barrel shotgun with slugs while fishing and while hunting a 375 Mashburn Imp. And in Alaska always my 460 Rowland even for a trip to the outhouse! Not much scares me but a cow moose protecting her calf or a bull in rut are as dangerous as a grizzly! If I'm unsuccessful in stopping an attack from one these animals I hope I can save the last round for myself as it will be a lot less painful end! Good luck with your hunt, hope all goes well and you come home safe and sound.
How true. More people here in eastern Canada have been attacked by moose then Bear, coyotes, and panthers (black mountain lions in my area) combined. More deaths by bears though.

Logan and I took a load of fill back to our target area Well some of the blocks weren't broken so we decided to shoot them? Logan had his 6.5 CM a nice rifle he gets plenty of deer with it. I had my 338LM Well when they hit a block at 200 yards a 140 VLD
is no where as impressive as a 300SMK! The Creed breaks it the Lapua blows it up!!
No comparison!!

But a hole through the heart and or lungs from a .243 up will probably end the life of the moose. But bigger holes are probably advisable when hunting in brown bear country just because.

Last edited:
would love to see the creed guys go on a drop off DIY caribou hunt to Unimak Is and leave them there for a couple weeks with their 6.5 Creedmoors

or Kodiak Island for deer hunting and do the same

Montague Is for deer ?

the creed is perfect for caribou & deer is it not ?

http://huntingreport.com/a-recommendation-for-big-alaska-brown-bears-on-unimak-island/
Yes ,And i think part of what gets forgotten is the terrain,brush there in.After 28 year to draw here in MT I was in bow range of a B&C moose,but had no shot,and watched walk off.My 340 wby was in my rig,that kinda hurt.

There needs to be a poll.
If you had a trip to alaska for a trophy bull moose what caliber would you bring. Something tells me the 6.5 cm wouldn't poll very well. Why would you even take the risk with that caliber?

I think most of these threads are like tossing a big steak between two hobos. OP just looking for reactions. Very few are going to make a flea flicker CM their pick for moose... I mean really?...

I have a 6.5 X 284 that is basically the Creedmoors daddy! It shoots anything the Creedmoor does Faster and Flatter with more Foot pounds of energy!
Simple fact! I wouldn't take it Moose hunting I think it's too small!

I usually don't comment on posts and living in PA, I have no moose experience. But if I was going moose hunting, the more practical question to me is...

When/if a grizzly wants you to share your moose with him, bickering about what caliber vs a moose seems moot.

I'd pick a caliber that would handle a charging grizzly, before I'd worry about the moose. (I've also heard that a charging moose will fill your pants, too!)

Either animal, my life may weigh in the balance of my caliber choice, and it won't be a 6.5 Creedmoor.

So, what caliber would I choose? My only experience with a big caliber is with a friend's 300 Weatherby Magnum (what a beast of a caliber!). I'd start by looking at that and going upwards. (I'd also have a holstered 44 Magnum with me, as well.)

Side note, I have another friend that uses his 300 Weatherby Magnum for whitetail deer. REALLY?? (I'm always on his butt about that...leave the butchering to the butcher, not to the caliber, I keep telling him...lol.)

He shot a nice 8 point this year and within days he went to his chiropractor AND the first thing he was asked, "You've been shooting that 300 W. M. again, right?"

One shot, one visit...serves him right, I keep telling him! We both laugh, he's a good bud.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts