6.5 creedmoor eld147 speeds

I'm using RL 16 in my son's 6.5 creedmoor and getting 2790 from a 24" barrel. I would expect 2750 or more for 50 deg F from H4350. You seem to be getting a fair bit of velocity variance, much more than I expect from H4350.

Interesting thread. I have not shot in sub zero temps and I have seen few if any threads on shooting reloads in such low temps. According to JBM shooting the 147 ELD-M at 2500fps at 0 degrees C still keeps supersonic to 1200 meters.

It would bother me to have different loads based on temperature especially when my cold weather load shows pressure when it warms up. I think I would be completely satisfied with 147's at 2500fps and be able to shoot it at any temp.

Of course you can figure new dopes for each 10 degrees of temp change and be good to go with your one load.

ELD-M 147g...42.7g of R16 = 2800 fps according to the "Social Regressive". And darn accurate too... my groups average 0.2665" at. 100 yards.

ELD-X...143g...41.2g of H4350... my best group was 0.1066" at 100 yards. Overall, my groups average +/- 0.25". BEST COMBO I'VE FOUND!!

Last edited:
What speeds should I be getting out of my creedmoor with 147 grain eld's. It's a savage model 12 26" barrel. I have done load development this winter using 40.1 grains of H4350 and have come up with a great accurate load with a speed of 2690 at -15c. I got my first hit today at 1018 yards but it has warmed up since I did my load development and now I'm getting pressure signs at 0c. I have another great proven load at 39.7 grains of H4350 but I'm concerned that I will keep getting pressure signs the more it keeps warming up. I have another nice accuracy node at 38.4 grains and speeds of around 2560ish but I feel that that is too slow. What speeds are to slow for the 6.5 and 147gn. I don't want to switch from H4350 because it is readily available here.

I get 2690 with Hornady precision factory stuff out of my 24" barrel

Looking back at the data that I collected during my load development I had a real nice accuracy node in the 2560ish FPS at -13c at almost 2 grains of powder less than what I am shooting now. According to my ballistics app, if I figured this out correctly, with the same powder temperature sensitivity that my current load has, I should be getting speeds some where around 2630 fps at 20c temps. I will explore this node and see what happens. I really don't have much of a choice at this point. I would like more speed but as long as it's accurate I can dial for the elevation drop

Last edited:
If you want more speed go to rl26. Will pick up another 100fps easy. But for my match rifle h4350 hammers better than rl26.
Shep

All the research that I have done on reloader powders say they are not very temperature stabile so I have been staying away from them. Plus they are not that easy to get around here.

Interesting thread. I have not shot in sub zero temps and I have seen few if any threads on shooting reloads in such low temps. According to JBM shooting the 147 ELD-M at 2500fps at 0 degrees C still keeps supersonic to 1200 meters.

It would bother me to have different loads based on temperature especially when my cold weather load shows pressure when it warms up. I think I would be completely satisfied with 147's at 2500fps and be able to shoot it at any temp.

Of course you can figure new dopes for each 10 degrees of temp change and be good to go with your one load.

I hunt whitetail, muleys and moose and most of my hunting temperatures are well below zero temperatures and sometimes down to -25c so that's why I do my load development on the warm days in the winter. But when I want to shoot in summer there is quite the temperature difference than when I did the load development so I'm not sure if it would be a benefit to me to have two different loads for below zero temps and above.

Last edited:
I know you said you want to use H4350 . I use Reloader 16 40.5 2625fps 2.810 oal, in 3 different guns no pressure signs. Used at 100 degrees all the way down to 18 degrees. Have shot out to 1500 yards. 147's are great for long range shooting![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I know you said you want to use H4350 . I use Reloader 16 40.5 2625fps 2.810 oal, in 3 different guns no pressure signs. Used at 100 degrees all the way down to 18 degrees. Have shot out to 1500 yards. 147's are great for long range shooting!
[/QUOTE]

I checked into the reloader 16 and the below is a cut and paste from Precision Rifle Blog. All the reseach that I have done said that reloader powders were not temp stabile. I just might try and get my hands on some to try.

"Most powders aren't specially formulated to be temperature stable. So they would likely show much larger swings than what these four top-performing powders showed. However, Alliant's relatively new Reloder 16 is an extremely temp-stable powder, with a burn rate that is a close match to H4350. Many F-Open competitors are now using Reloder 16 with considerable success."

Just checked with two gun shops around here and they said that they can't get reloader 16 or 23 into Canada. Not sure what that's about but they both said that their suppliers can't get it.

Last edited:

I checked into the reloader 16 and the below is a cut and paste from Precision Rifle Blog. All the reseach that I have done said that reloader powders were not temp stabile. I just might try and get my hands on some to try.

"Most powders aren't specially formulated to be temperature stable. So they would likely show much larger swings than what these four top-performing powders showed. However, Alliant's relatively new Reloder 16 is an extremely temp-stable powder, with a burn rate that is a close match to H4350. Many F-Open competitors are now using Reloder 16 with considerable success."
[/QUOTE]
Like I said, I've used Reloader 16 in really hot temps and really cold. With good reliability. Give it a shot. Pun intended

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.