6,5 Creedmoor, choice of barrel length?

I believe your 10 gram bullet has more penatration potential so that why less energy needed. Tell them to start using grains to weigh bullets like the rest of us. Do your loading scales only weigh in grams too. I can see it now the 10-10 gram scale. Or the M5 gram scale.
Shep

It is a wonderful mess, powder- and bullet-measurements are done in grains by the user, because most of the data is made for the american market. But all the laws is in grams. All other measurements, such as case-measurement are mainly metric. I can not rule out, that a few guys use inches, but i wouldn't be able to wrap my head around that

I'm just breaking in a new 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, a 28" carbon fiber wrapped Proof research.

With Berger 140 grain box ammo, it chronographed at 2,800 fps.

It might speed up over time or just be a slow barrel but if it was a new 24" barrel it might have a hard time breaking 2,700 fps with Berger box ammo.

A suppressor can speed things up a bit but 20" might have trouble getting there.

If you can hand load for the test, the 20" barrel might be less of a risk but I would still be a bit worried about making the number.

I believe your 10 gram bullet has more penatration potential so that why less energy needed. Tell them to start using grains to weigh bullets like the rest of us. Do your loading scales only weigh in grams too. I can see it now the 10-10 gram scale. Or the M5 gram scale.
Shep

As i said, their can be people out there, smarter than me, and i'm happy about that :-D

i went with a 22" barrel in my creedmoor because i couldnt decide between 20-24". so i just split it down the middle. i wanted as much muzzle velocity as possible but i have an 8" .30 cal suppressor that i wanted to run on it as well. if i had to do it again, i'd probably go with the 20" but i'm not planning on shooting game with it past 300-400 yards.

Vesterhoff, have you ever had or ever heard of anyone having their ammo chronographed by the game warden or the state to verify velocity and calculate energy? I would guess that the creed and the swede and the .270 Win and other such cartridges are probably accepted with common bullets for energy acceptability. As long as you are shooting a 140 and heavier bullet they know from watching TV Drama in the 80s that it's a good load and probably have no idea that 4" of barrel will matter. Especially if you have an extra 4, 6 , or 8 inches of suppressor hangin off the end. Given the nature of the Creeds success in advertising, they may even think you are a little over-gunned.:oops:

Vesterhoff, have you ever had or ever heard of anyone having their ammo chronographed by the game warden or the state to verify velocity and calculate energy? I would guess that the creed and the swede and the .270 Win and other such cartridges are probably accepted with common bullets for energy acceptability. As long as you are shooting a 140 and heavier bullet they know from watching TV Drama in the 80s that it's a good load and probably have no idea that 4" of barrel will matter. Especially if you have an extra 4, 6 , or 8 inches of suppressor hangin off the end. Given the nature of the Creeds success in advertising, they may even think you are a little over-gunned.:oops:

Nope, i would chance it to one in a gazillion odds! But it matters to me, it wouldn't feel right, even though you and i can agree, that it makes no difference what so ever.

And the marketing of the Creed havn't really crossed the Atlantic yet, I believe, that still only the super-nerds are aware it over here.

Nope, i would chance it to one in a gazillion odds! But it matters to me, it wouldn't feel right, even though you and i can agree, that it makes no difference what so ever.

And when that is said, gun owning is quite rare in this country, due to laws there properly would be probable cause to civil-war in the US. And even the tiniest infraction would cause confiscation and banning from owning firearms.

And the marketing of the Creed havn't really crossed the Atlantic yet, I believe, that still only the super-nerds are aware it over here.

Well if they allow the x55 then they have to allow the Creed.
Shep

i agree, but guess most guys runs big square 'rocks' for bullets in them, and they are used at 50-100 meters for large game. And for that porpoise, you don't have to spend a lot of time thinking about BC's, barrel twist, and 1/2 MOA groups :)

Are you against a 6.5prc? Wouldn't that give you added horsepower for a shorter barrel? I would think so sure you won't get the possible velocity of the cartridge but it would be more then a smaller cartridge with the same barrel.

Good for you buddy, nothing wrong with following the rules (as long as they aren't too unrealistic!).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.