22 creedmoor barrel length

I'm looking to have my smith spin up a prefit bartlein medium palma in 16-18" threaded, in 22 creed for my bighorn origin action. Plan to shoot something along the lines of 75-90 grain

Try the 80.5gr Berger. My 22 Dasher and 22x47L love them. But they are not fur friendly.

I'm impressed with what you guys are getting out of your short barreled 22creeds. I built a long barreled one in a savage looking for the most I could reasonably get. Mine is a 28in 7twist. I tried too many bullets in the 75-90gr range. 77gr TMKs are the best i found pushing them hard. I use SP 6.5creed lapua brass and h4350. Mine will pop an occasional primer when it's hot. Hunting weather 40s and under its fine. But 44gr of h4350 pushing the 77gr TMK avgs 3636fps in my rifle. It is under .5moa too. I'm amazed 10in of barrel loaded about as hot as i can go is only good for 100fps over the short barrels.

Adam

Old thread I know, but I have a Proof Carbon at 16.5" coming for my Proof TAC II switch barrel setup; one of my Thunderbeasts will live on it. I'll keep you boys in the loop as load gets developed...if youre interested.

Old thread I know, but I have a Proof Carbon at 16.5" coming for my Proof TAC II switch barrel setup; one of my Thunderbeasts will live on it. I'll keep you boys in the loop as load gets developed...if youre interested.
I'm very interested in this, I have a 26" 22 Creed. I have a 16.5" 6mm Creed that shoots 1/2moa, I've shot it out to 600yds very accurately. It is bout 150-200 fps slower than a 26" barrel, still plenty of velocity. Thinking seriously about a 22 shorty.

What kind of barrel life are you guys getting with your 22 creeds? I'm very tempted to spin one up but don't have the funds to burn through barrels too often. Is 1500 rounds reasonable to expect? 2k if not pushing hot loads?

I would say 1200 and if your not going to run near max loads maybe1500 but if that's the case just get a 22-250 fast twist and do it cheaper.
Of course there are a lot of folks running loads in the Creedmoor well above normal accepted pressures since there is no data published.
See example 3 posts above....
That load is in the 75-80k PSI range if it blowing primers when it's warm.
I would hazard a guess running that hard you would get maybe 1000 rounds depending on powder.

I would say 1200 and if your not going to run near max loads maybe1500 but if that's the case just get a 22-250 fast twist and do it cheaper.
Of course there are a lot of folks running loads in the Creedmoor well above normal accepted pressures since there is no data published.
See example 3 posts above....
That load is in the 75-80k PSI range if it blowing primers when it's warm.
I would hazard a guess running that hard you would get maybe 1000 rounds depending on powder.
Thanks Venatic, I can be happy with 1500, and I'll be running a longer tube to help push the velocity up a little with a lighter load.

@GREATSCOTT!

Got any updates for us?

I'm looking at moving to this caliber using my Model 7 receiver, with a 16"-18" RemAge barrel topped with a dead air 3 prong flash hider. I picked up an old/new Magnum factory stock so I can run a little thicker profiled barrel, also scored an older version of the stock they made for the AAC version and plan on switching over the adjustable cheek pad to the magnum stock and use an atlas bipod attached to the Caldwell gun sling stud for resting on the hay bales....hahahaha why do I hear someone saying, "You'll shoot your eye out kid".

Recent Posts