6,5 Creedmoor selection of barrel length

Vesterhoff

So I finally decided to retire 'The Oldy War-horse' AKA. the 30.06, and I decided to go the 6,5 Creedmoor way.

I've got myself quite a good offer on the Tikka T3x Tac A1, and I'm trying to decide between the 20" barrel option, or the 24" barrel option.

I'm planning on using the rifle mainly for medium and long range hunting.

Due to local laws, I'm required to use and expanding bullet. I'm planning on using the Hornady Eld-X 143 grains, due to its characteristics, and its availability over here.

I'm also required by law, to deliver 2700 joules of impact-force at a range of 100 meters, in order to legally hunting for large game animals. I've crunched the numbers, and what I end up with, is a required minimum muzzle-velocity of 815 meters pr. second, (that will be 2674 feet pr. second) when using the Hornady Eld-X 143 grain.

I'm planning on running the platform suppressed, with a rather large Stalon suppressor.

So to my question: Is the required velocity realistic with a 20" barrel?

Here is the info you need:

Looks like an ELDX won't work in 20"

That rifle is also available in 6.5x55 which is faster than CM. If you made it a 6.5x55 AI I'm sure you could do it in 20"

Do you have to use a suppressor ? I have 3 and use them but hunting is usually a one shot event so they stay home.

This is one of my 6.5 CMs, 5 pounds. W/O can. I use 120 Barnes that get 2700 in this.

kimber 6.5cm w:o can.jpg

I have a 20" 6.5CM that is getting pressure testing with velocity soon with 140 ELDM and 147 ELDM rounds. I know the factory Hornady match 147 ELDM I sent through it when new were bouncing around 2550 fps without the suppressor.

I dont have any 143 ELDX loaded at the moment but might be able to help ballpark that velocity if I can get time this evening. These will be shot with a suppressor. My guess is you will need a 24" barrel to get consistent >2674 fps.

I have a 20" 6.5CM that is getting pressure testing with velocity soon with 140 ELDM and 147 ELDM rounds. I know the factory Hornady match 147 ELDM I sent through it when new were bouncing around 2550 fps without the suppressor.

I dont have any 143 ELDX loaded at the moment but might be able to help ballpark that velocity if I can get time this evening. These will be shot with a suppressor. My guess is you will need a 24" barrel to get consistent >2674 fps.

Looking forward to hear you're results

That rifle is also available in 6.5x55 which is faster than CM. If you made it a 6.5x55 AI I'm sure you could do it in 20"

Do you have to use a suppressor ? I have 3 and use them but hunting is usually a one shot event so they stay home.

This is one of my 6.5 CMs, 5 pounds. W/O can. I use 120 Barnes that get 2700 in this.

View attachment 190694

The 120 grains is a no-go, there is a required minimum bullet-weight by law of 9 grams (139 grains)

View attachment 190694

And i've read the article 10 times! :) i've also seen plenty of posts with very different velocities. So i'm confused!

Last edited:
This rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard Weatherguard with 20" barrel, suppressed with an 8" can. New Hornady brass that I had on hand- plan to redo a test when my Lapua brass gets here...someday...

The pressure test: 1 round at each charge weight up until hitting max pressure. So keep in mind this is a small sample size. Shot with a Magnetospeed for rough velocity information. Book Max is 41.5g of H4350, I tested higher than that and can say youre not going to get the velocity youre looking for. This barrel does appear a bit slower than other 20" barrels though. With different powders you could probably better velocities.

The 140 ELDM at 42gr H4350 was at 2558fps, the 147 at 42gr was at 2541fps. I did hit 2607 with the 140 and 2592 with the 147, but that was definitely max.

Have you considered 7mm08 or 308? The 150 ELDX in 7mm08 should get you where you need to be for energy, and the 308 will too with the 168gr easily.

I have rifles chambered for all three cartridges and when it comes to hunting, the 7mm08 Tikka is the most used by far.

I just checked my load book, my 16" 308 (rem 700 sps tactical 1:10) is shooting 168 eld m at 2620fps on 45.6gr of varget. This is with the same suppressor as the one used for the 6.5.

My 22" tikka is launching 150 nosler partitions at 2755fps from 42.1gr of varget. This is my unsuppressed hiking rifle used mostly in timber, shots inside 300yds. The 140 partition is my next load to develop with this rifle. partitions are not the best long range, or super accurate bullet out there, but they have excellent terminal ballistics.

Bee is right, the 7x57 would be good. If you're going tikka only, I think 308 May be your best choice. Unless they have more cartridge options there than we have.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.