6,5 Creedmoor, choice of barrel length?

Nope, i would chance it to one in a gazillion odds! But it matters to me, it wouldn't feel right, even though you and i can agree, that it makes no difference what so ever.

And the marketing of the Creed havn't really crossed the Atlantic yet, I believe, that still only the super-nerds are aware it over here.
With Lapua making 6.5 Creedmoor brass and it being a civilian chambering that is probably more legal in some areas, I'm surprised that it isn't at least known if not becoming popular.

A friend of mine just figured it out after I've been shooting 6.5 Creedmoor at 1,000 yards for 5-6 years, he finally bought a barrel to try. Before that he bought an expensive Steyr SSG Carbon in .308, tried shooting 168 grain FGMM and had a bunch of issues getting on paper.

It's simple math, more velocity and more ballistic coefficient with accuracy on top equals easy 1,000 yard shooting with light recoil and even good on game with the right bullets. Some people just don't believe it. On the other hand some people see 6.5*47 Lapua and instantly dismiss anything that doesn't say Lapua but they dont realize the additional case capacity actually does some good stuff.

At least you get to be in the know for a while.

I shoot the 6.5creed for my 1000 yard compatition rifle. It does very good and I have won alot of relays and matches with it. My best group in a match was 3.9 for 10 shots. I use the 148eldm with h4350 at just over 2850. People kill alot of game with this bullet. Very high bc around 670. The little Creed fights in a heavier class for sure and does quite good for itself.
Shep

Are you against a 6.5prc? Wouldn't that give you added horsepower for a shorter barrel? I would think so sure you won't get the possible velocity of the cartridge but it would be more then a smaller cartridge with the same barrel.

Not an option on the platform i fell in love with... 😬

........... But, if you use a 10 gram bullet or more, you only need to deliver 2000 joules of impact-force at 100 meters..................

There is a solution. A 156 gr Berger bullet with a muzzle velocity of 2200 fps will provide that. I don't think you would have a problem exceeding that with a 20 inch barrel. The Berger ammo shows 2680 fps from a 26" barrel. You would have to lose 80 fps per inch to fall to 2200.

There is a solution. A 156 gr Berger bullet with a muzzle velocity of 2200 fps will provide that. I don't think you would have a problem exceeding that with a 20 inch barrel. The Berger ammo shows 2680 fps from a 26" barrel. You would have to lose 80 fps per inch to fall to 2200.

Did the math and figured as much. The problem with the Berger, is that it is hard to come by in country, and the price i almost twice the ELD-X. But yes, it is a possible option.

I contacted Berger, and the funny thing is; they will not give you load-data in writing, only via telephone. (Guess they don't want to be held accountable, if people blows them self up due to stupidity?) Anyway, i did get out of them, that they expected the 156 gr. to run 2500-2550 fts, out of a 20" barrel.

26" barrel for bullets of 130gr and over with a twist rate of 7.5 to 7.75 is ideal. I have shot tiny clusters of 1/4" at 200yds with this combo.

Did the math and figured as much. The problem with the Berger, is that it is hard to come by in country, and the price i almost twice the ELD-X. But yes, it is a possible option.

I contacted Berger, and the funny thing is; they will not give you load-data in writing, only via telephone. (Guess they don't want to be held accountable, if people blows them self up due to stupidity?) Anyway, i did get out of them, that they expected the 156 gr. to run 2500-2550 fts, out of a 20" barrel.
berger has load data on their web site.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.