6.5 creedmoor Ammo

Nov. 7- Feb. 28, no limit on them in Georgia.. easy to call in, great targets...
Many years ago the Mexican government threatened the government of the United States. The threat was over Whitewing dove vs. Crows. Mexico threatened to put no limits on the hunting of whitewing dove if the U.S. did not put protections on crow populations. The reason: crows eat Whitewing dove eggs and their babies in the nest and Mexico is overpopulated with Whitewing dove. Mexico has few native dove hunters to keep the population in check. U.S. hunters travel to Mexico and hunt Whitewing doves, but crows keep the dove population tolerable to the Mexican government.

In order to protect the whitewing populations in Mexico, the U.S. signed a treaty to make if Federally illegal to kill crows; with a few exceptions. If a crow is depredating (eating crops or wildlife) you are allowed to kill them. Due to the definition of depredation in the treaty, a crow is considered to be depredating if it is eating almost anything. So, by treaty, a crow is federally legal to kill if it is eating, scavenging, or just about anything that keeps the crow alive.

That was a long time ago and the story was told to me by a Federal Game Warden. Maybe the treaty has been done away with by now. But you are right they are fun to shoot and can make great long-range targets, like prairie dogs and coyotes. But they are smart and do become call shy and will avoid areas where they are heavily hunted. If you are questioned as to why you are killing crows, simply say: because the crows are deperdating. Just sayin'.

I wish I had the ability to just grab a tag and go shoot deer. AZ = only one per year. Of anything!
Interesting thing in Alberta Canada....we have so many Whitetail you can potentially buy 9 tags if you hunt many of the overrun zones. But Moose... probably more now than 30 years ago and it can take 4-8 years to get a tag on draw.....but if you are a bow hunter....1 every year!

Easy way to get crows to stick around that my grandfather taught me..take a bucket of corn, about 20 pieces of sewing thread about 20" long, and a sewing needle.. use the needle to thread a piece of corn on a piece of string.. knot one end.. pull corn to the knot.. throw the 20 pieces in the bucket with the other corn.. toss the corn out in a field and start calling.. when one shows up and eats a piece of the threaded corn, he will not fly off, just tries to get the thread out of his mouth.. starts distress calling.. (do not shoot him) crows will come from everywhere to assist him... shoot them..
if hunting standing dry corn fields, 3 people walk in in view of the crows, 2 walk out and continue their day.. common crows can't count past 2.. solo shooter is free to shoot for a while..

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.