6.5 CM can you use small rifle magnum primers?

It's possible that using SR primers can reduce ES.

The practice was really driven through research done by the US PALMA team in an effort to gain a competitive advantage. In the content on their forum they plainly stated they don't recommend it for cold weather or hunting due to the potential for misfires.

David Tubb has done significant research on the subject and states he considered 35gr the dividing line for charges that should be utilizing LR primers. He originally speced LR for the 6 XC, though offers SR as an option.

I personally use LR because I shoot in a very cold environment and tend to use ball powders because of availability....well use to be available anyway. I did try SR in a 6 creedmoor to see if the pockets would hold up longer and I did have misfires starting in late fall and getting worse through the winter. I dabbled a bit with PRS locally and the winter informal matches were interesting. Lots of issues with SR primers.

Recently I purchased a lot of small primer in the 6.5 CM lapua brass. I was also doing some research on the hammer hunting bullets. I read the small primer gives a better SD and if read correctly a magnum primer is approved for better ignition. My question is to separate fact from fiction from the experts here. My rifle is a stock Tikka 24 inch barrel with 1-8 twist. Can you use a small magnum rifle primer with the powders listed in reloading manuals and if so are there any problems I could face with the twist rate I have.
I currently want to load the hornady 95 gr v max and 123 gr sst bullets I have. I also am wanting to purchase some hammer bullets or Barnes for to load for my hunting rounds. Thanks in advance.
Yes. As far as I know it's just a slightly stronger cup material. Perhaps a little more spark ignition but I haven't noticed any velocity differences between mag and regular

I use H4350 with 147 ELDMs and CCI 450s In my 6.5CM 24" 1:8 twist. I started out with a comparison ladder test between 450s and Federal small rifle match 205Ms. It resulted in the nodes in the same place and only a few feet per second difference. Almost not enough difference to detect within the normal deviation between shots. I had access to more 450s so that is all I shoot now. Maybe when I can get a competition primer seater from Greg at Primal Rights I will do further testing.

Recently I purchased a lot of small primer in the 6.5 CM lapua brass. I was also doing some research on the hammer hunting bullets. I read the small primer gives a better SD and if read correctly a magnum primer is approved for better ignition. My question is to separate fact from fiction from the experts here. My rifle is a stock Tikka 24 inch barrel with 1-8 twist. Can you use a small magnum rifle primer with the powders listed in reloading manuals and if so are there any problems I could face with the twist rate I have.
I currently want to load the hornady 95 gr v max and 123 gr sst bullets I have. I also am wanting to purchase some hammer bullets or Barnes for to load for my hunting rounds. Thanks in advance.
I have a Bergara. I use CCI 450 Lapua brass as well with H4350 and hammer hunter 124 gr bullets. I will give Bandlands Precision a try with their 125gr bulldozer-2 bullets. They have a higher BC than hammer bullets.

I necked up 6mm Creedmor Lapua small rifle brass to 6.5 back when I built my 6.5 CM gas gun. (Saved $70 on 400 so I was happy) AND they were in stock when there was no 6.5 cm brass.
Anyways , I am just using regular small rifle primers w 4350 and 130 gr VLDs and shoot steel out to 1200 yd w it .
It's roughly the same amount of Powder that a Comp / small rifle primer 308 Palma uses ( 40 couple grains ) And all those guys I know use Small Regular or Match ones - no magnums.
Just my $0.02 and observation

It's possible that using SR primers can reduce ES.

The practice was really driven through research done by the US PALMA team in an effort to gain a competitive advantage. In the content on their forum they plainly stated they don't recommend it for cold weather or hunting due to the potential for misfires.

David Tubb has done significant research on the subject and states he considered 35gr the dividing line for charges that should be utilizing LR primers. He originally speced LR for the 6 XC, though offers SR as an option.

I personally use LR because I shoot in a very cold environment and tend to use ball powders because of availability....well use to be available anyway. I did try SR in a 6 creedmoor to see if the pockets would hold up longer and I did have misfires starting in late fall and getting worse through the winter. I dabbled a bit with PRS locally and the winter informal matches were interesting. Lots of issues with SR primers.
depending on what brand of SR you use...

Recently I purchased a lot of small primer in the 6.5 CM lapua brass...
Just in case you did not notice - the flash hole is smaller than normal in the Lapua SR 6.5 CM cases. There's a good chance it will be too tight for the depriming pin on the average die. I bought a spare pin for my Lee Universal deprimer and turned it down to fit. I also noticed the spare pin that came with my Redding FL die set was a little smaller in diameter than the one in the die, and it fits the Lapua SR flash holes as well.

Just a heads up...
Cheers,
Rex

The only brass I have is lapua as I just purchased this rifle. Sorry i cannot answer your question. I've also never loaded this caliber before

Thanks everyone I will be doing my load tests on the powders you recommended for different Bullet weights and comparison. I'll start in the 2800 fps and work up.
reloader 17 works really well for me for the lighter bullets.
I loaded up 4-3shot sets in .3 grain increments with the 103 gr eldx and superP in my 6cm
Also did it with my 6.5 and 143 gr eldx with SP.

I thought was odd that Hornady listed rl 26 and rl 22 as viable powders....along with 16 and 17

Absolutely, some slower powders have a tendency to delay upon ignition. Hotter mag primers are the cure. BTW some std primers actually burn hotter than the magnums. I wouldn't just swap in magnum primers on an existing load. Especially if I were near maximum. Best to back off and work back up, just to be safe.
I confirm... I had in the past.. some issues with slow burning powder for my 6.5 cm using regular large primer.... now I just use magnum large primer in all.my reload. ( I know.. I know we are talking about small primer... but I guess the " issues " was the same..lol.. .. us I'm a poor hunter I can't afford to buy new small.primer shells for my creedmoor...

reloader 17 works really well for me for the lighter bullets.
I loaded up 4-3shot sets in .3 grain increments with the 103 gr eldx and superP in my 6cm
Also did it with my 6.5 and 143 gr eldx with SP.

I thought was odd that Hornady listed rl 26 and rl 22 as viable powders....along with 16 and 17
I really wish I can find any RL powder to try. It's a high flash sale commodity