6.5 builds ...let's see them

My 6.5s, although not all completely custom....

Top:custom 6.5 CM, Benchmark #4 barrel on Remington 700 action by Travis Stevens of TS Custom, Jewell Trigger, McWoody Stock

Beautiful grain pattern on that stock! What kind of wood is it? ;):)

@trucraft so what's the deal with guns in the UK? Is it hard to get a rifle like that built? How do you source ammo? Beautiful rifle!

Thanks
Probably not as hard as you think but still not always straight forward.
The hard part for us here in the UK is the firearm license in the first place. Which you apply to the police firearms dep stating why you need a rifle/rifles and where your going to use them. Target shooting you must have club membership and hunting you need written permission from land owners to proof you have reason to shoot quarry.
Then caliber selection, you propose what calibers you want and why and the police say yay or nay! Quite often the firearms officers won't know the difference between a 6.5 creed and a 260. I think they have a spread sheet of calibers they like and anything else in there mind isn't nessasery. Example, my south African friend living in UK,a experienced hunter applied for a deer rifle. He asked for 30-06 as he grow up with them all his life in SA. The firearm officer refused and said all he really needed was a 243! After some back and forth they allowed him a 308. Go figure!?
I have had a license since I was 19 as I worked as on deer park and managed deer professional. I was restricted to 1 rifle in 243 for the first 2 years.
It also depends which county/state you live as some are more reasonable than others.
On the plus side they expect you to own a suppressor and the're easy to obtain.
When I applied for a 7SAUM a few years ago the officer had no idea what I was talking about. I did get it in the end

All that said there is a thriving trade in gun smiths and we have a very long history of this. More recently the trend for PRS comps and the like has led to a good supply in US components as well as some top class UK manufacturers of everything from carbon stocks to triggers.
Ammo and consumables, we are still very realient on the US. As we are such a small fish in the industry we are way down the pecking order so thing take a long time to reach us.
Sorry if this post is off topic to the rest of the 6.5 thread.
My friend is the gunsmith but this rifle would usually cost £4500 over here!

@trucraft thanks for the explanation. Sucks you have to go through that. What a weird system. I can understand if it were a standardized system, but it sounds like you're at the mercy of whoever is stamping your paperwork. Anyway, beautiful rifle. I'm envious of your suppressor laws.

@trucraft thanks for the explanation. Sucks you have to go through that. What a weird system. I can understand if it were a standardized system, but it sounds like you're at the mercy of whoever is stamping your paperwork. Anyway, beautiful rifle. I'm envious of your suppressor laws.
They think the .243 is " good enough for government work":D

IMG_4700.JPG
IMG_4745.jpg
IMG_4131.jpg

I was very tempted when I drew up a list for my Saum. The option to swap bolt face on the Bighorn swayed it. Just!
Did I miss what caliber your rifle is?
I forgot to list it.

6.5x47
GAP Tempest
Bartlein Heavy Palma finished at 23"
Manners PRS2
TriggerTech Diamond
K525i

Have another 6.5x47 that will be a switch barrel rig but haven't gotten the barrel or stock yet.
Impact 737r
Manners PRS2
Bartlein Medium Palma finished at 20"
Triggertech diamond
Vortex AMG

Just got my 6.5-284 Norma from my smith (Speedy Gonzalez in San Antonio)
Built on a Savage 116 long action
28" Krieger, 1:8, Rem Varmit contour with spiral flutes, bead blasted59C66A0D-042A-478B-A9E1-5533E527D385.jpegA7811BC9-32CA-4E08-BEDE-50B7D2996639.jpeg5718846C-412F-4297-91AE-169DE928F702.jpeg9711A2C9-D2D3-42F1-9690-792C077BAD23.jpeg
Standard Savage Accustock that I painted.
Can't remember the brand of muzzle brake
There is virtually no recoil.
Starting load development and it looks really promising.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.