6.5 build

roadglide

Got a Tikka M695 hunter 30-06 which I bought new in 2002 and it's been a great rifle, love the slick action. Anyway I want to rebarrel to a 6.5 -284 or maybe the 6.5-06. My question is will the 6.5-284 cartridge work in the 30-06 oem magazine box, or will I have issues?

Got a Tikka M695 hunter 30-06 which I bought new in 2002 and it's been a great rifle, love the slick action. Anyway I want to rebarrel to a 6.5 -284 or maybe the 6.5-06. My question is will the 6.5-284 cartridge work in the 30-06 oem magazine box, or will I have issues?

The Tikkas are great actions but they are pretty short for a long action which limits coal quite a bit. They work great for a short action round, but you are also limited there unless you want to get a bolt for a magnum sized cartridge. I had a couple guys build the SS family cartridge on them and they worked great. .......Rich

roadglide,

The M695 Hunter '06 magazine is a standard 3.340" in length to handle all the standard long action cartridges. It is not long enough to handle the .300 RUM or .300 H&H length cartridges at 3.600" long. But this will not stop you from having any of the long action cartridges such as the 6.5-06 loaded with hunting style bullets.

You could manage the 6.5-284 with modifications to the detachable magazine box, feed lips and follower but I don't see this as being functional in the action and stock because of the 0.500" diameter of the cartridge head. But it shouldn't matter anyway because the difference in velocity will be negligible even with the bullets seated out further.

I've been shooting the 6.5-06 and the Ackley version for years with great success so I see no reason to fight the battle of modifications for a .284 based version.

Regards.

roadglide,

The M695 Hunter '06 magazine is a standard 3.340" in length to handle all the standard long action cartridges. It is not long enough to handle the .300 RUM or .300 H&H length cartridges at 3.600" long. But this will not stop you from having any of the long action cartridges such as the 6.5-06 loaded with hunting style bullets.

You could manage the 6.5-284 with modifications to the detachable magazine box, feed lips and follower but I don't see this as being functional in the action and stock because of the 0.500" diameter of the cartridge head. But it shouldn't matter anyway because the difference in velocity will be negligible even with the bullets seated out further.

I've been shooting the 6.5-06 and the Ackley version for years with great success so I see no reason to fight the battle of modifications for a .284 based version.

Regards.

3.340 coal sounds pretty short sounds pretty short for an A.I.?

It's SAMMI spec. The same specification applies to nearly every cartridge in the 2.500" case length class. Factory ammunition is limited to this.

It only becomes a factor when you decide to exceed the length of standard hunting bullets by choosing to use the longer VLDs. Tikka has made a standardized Hunting rifle which will use standardized hunting ammunition, not target length or single shot, hunting length.

If you want something which has a longer magazine, get a Remington M700.

Regards.

It's SAMMI spec. The same specification applies to nearly every cartridge in the 2.500" case length class. Factory ammunition is limited to this.

It only becomes a factor when you decide to exceed the length of standard hunting bullets by choosing to use the longer VLDs. Tikka has made a standardized Hunting rifle which will use standardized hunting ammunition, not target length or single shot, hunting length.

If you want something which has a longer magazine, get a Remington M700.

Regards.

Thats true! Most A.I.'s are built with more throat, was what I was thinking, and they do use longer bullets in most cases that I am familiar with......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.