6.5 build

Brent....I may have had my wiseguy pants part way on with the 200'/sec comment, but seriously, I would be surprised to get more than 500.

Gnergy....The 6.5 WSM would probably be a good choice, as you say, but the 6.5 Sherman will reach those velocities with a 30" barrel and you wouldn't have some of the hassles associated with WSM brass and the WSM is sometimes quite finicky......Rich

I built a 6.5-270 WSM and they say if you don't get the barrel real hot it should go 900 rds.
So far during testing I have been able to push 140 gr A Max's at 3300 fps and the 120 gr Barnes TTSX's at 3600 fps out of a 30 inch tube.
There is a guy on this site that had his barrel Melonited and he has over 1200 rds thru it and still going strong. After I start seeing throat erosion I am going to cut it off and rechamber it and get it Melonited.
I think the 6.5 WSM is a good choice for what you want.
Tarey

If your bore is fire cracked, you will probably want a whole new barrel. My understanding is, that it's not a good idea to nitride a fire cracked tube.

There is a guy on this site that had his barrel Melonited and he has over 1200 rds thru it and still going strong. After I start seeing throat erosion I am going to cut it off and rechamber it and get it Melonited.
I think the 6.5 WSM is a good choice for what you want.
Tarey

That's probably Neal Cooper. His 6.5 WSM stretch (I can't remember exactly what he calls it) Striker has over 1000 rounds through it.

I've been considering a 6.5/375 Ruger, and I've seen a 6.5/338 RUM (I think he called it the 6.5 Badger). Either one would benefit from having the nitride/melonite treatment. The Ruger case would be pretty close in capacity to the 6.5 STW, and probably the upper limit of what you can realistically use in the 6.5 bore.

Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.