6.5 berger 156 grain EOL seating stem issue

Sugar Shane

Hello all. What seating stem is everyone using to load the Berger 6.5 156 gr. EOL bullets? Ive got a hornady die set and a few seating stems but they are leaving a significant ring around the bullet. I was hoping that hornady starting making a stem to fit these new high b.c. bullets but I couldnt find anything. The closest thing i have to is their eldx stem.

I have the same issue in a few of my die sets.
What I do is take a standard stem, drill a 1/8" hole about a 1/8" deep in the middle of it, then use a bullet to polish the stem with coarse valve grinding paste.
You can also use Devcon and profile the stem to match the bullet if you feel this is better.

Cheers.

Hello all. What seating stem is everyone using to load the Berger 6.5 156 gr. EOL bullets? Ive got a hornady die set and a few seating stems but they are leaving a significant ring around the bullet. I was hoping that hornady starting making a stem to fit these new high b.c. bullets but I couldnt find anything. The closest thing i have to is their eldx stem.

I do not want to assume anything but did you address this issue with Hornady?

No but i did check their site to see what stems they offered but it was mainly for their brand bullets

"IF" their product is causing this (factory defect) they would want to know and can provide you with a better resolve (i.e. part replacement or procedural advice with your reloading process). I have a few of their dies and load Berger bullets without any issues.

Redding makes a stem for those type bullets. I had a similar issue and it was a fix. I'm running Redding dies though? Maybe Hornady has a VLD type stem?

I don't think it's a factory defect I get the same issue with the Hornady VLD seating stem and the 156 Berger as well.

I also get it with the Redding VLD stem on 215 Bergers.

Hammer bullets as well. I think you have to do as described and buy a stem for each bullet and bed them accordingly. Sux but you got to do what you gotta do.

If the dies are undersizing the necks more than necessary and your brass isn't annealed you could very well be getting alot of spring back causing alot of neck tension.
I load alot of Bergers in different calibers with VLD stems and I have never had a problem but i also never use more than .003 no tension

I have a few stems for my hornady die but no VLD stems. They dont make them. The closest thing to fit is their Eldx stem. They design their stems for their bullets. I was just curious if anyone else ran into this problem and what was the solution

"IF" their product is causing this (factory defect) they would want to know and can provide you with a better resolve (i.e. part replacement or procedural advice with your reloading process). I have a few of their dies and load Berger bullets without any issues.

I don't think it's a factory defect I get the same issue with the Hornady VLD seating stem and the 156 Berger as well.

I do not share the same problem. Below is a quick test with virgin PP brass (no special prep just a quick deburr, re-size, and bullet seated at 3.34" COAL), 156 Berger, Hornady dies ...

Hornady dies 156 Berger .264 WM 1 of 2.jpg
Hornady dies 156 Berger .264 WM 2 of 2.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.