6.5 berger 156 grain EOL seating stem issue

Shane Lindsey

Whatever came with the die set?

Did yours come with (2) stems?

Mine did and I tested them both. One was deeper than the other but didn’t seem to allow the bullet to go into it deep enough, so I used the VLD and it seemed to fit better.

Tried to take a pic but can’t get it to show.
156 and 140 both have it. Hornady seater.
215 Berger/181 HH both have it, Lee seating die. 215 Berger in Redding comp seater have it. I thought I just had to live with it or bed them all.

Last edited:

Sugar Shane

Mine did and I tested them both. One was deeper than the other but didn’t seem to allow the bullet to go into it deep enough, so I used the VLD and it seemed to fit better.

I get this on multiple dies/bullets.
Yea it came with 2 and i bought an Eldx stem also. Ill try the deeper one. May have to hone it open alittle. Thanks

FEENIX

LRH Team Member

I get this on multiple dies/bullets.
Negative! I just checked my 3 other Hornady dies, only the 6.5 CM has an additional stem.

Last edited:

FEENIX

LRH Team Member

Tried to take a pic but can’t get it to show.
156 and 140 both have it. Hornady seater.
Here's one with 140 Berger ...

.264 with 140 Berger.jpg

Roninco

LRH Team Member
I use a Hornady seating die with their VLD stem on this bullet with no issues. I set .002" neck constriction using a bushing on ADG brass.

MagnumManiac

All of my Hornady gear, die sets, scales & do-dads I collected over the years have all gone in the trash. The only thing I kept was the headspace comparator and bullet comparator sets.
Their customer service s terrible.

I mostly seat my bullets with Forster or Redding Micrometer seaters, all others are with RCBS Dies that I modify the seating plugs to suit. RCBS no longer make VLD plugs for their dies.

Cheers.

Greyfox

I use the VLD seating stem with my Redding Competition Seater. Fits well, and run-outs are generally <.002”.

FEENIX

LRH Team Member
All of my Hornady gear, die sets, scales & do-dads I collected over the years have all gone in the trash. The only thing I kept was the headspace comparator and bullet comparator sets.
Their customer service s terrible.

I mostly seat my bullets with Forster or Redding Micrometer seaters, all others are with RCBS Dies that I modify the seating plugs to suit. RCBS no longer make VLD plugs for their dies.

Cheers.
deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

vortech347

The 147 ELDX stem is pretty close. They make a 153 A Tip stem, too. I bet it's partly neck tension as I have similar issues with my new Redding Competition seater die with the long vld stem.

I can load 144 and 153 target Bergers with no ring but Hornady 140 ELDM's do. I blame it on neck tension. The Bergers measure .0005 smaller in bullet diameter than the Hornady's and you can feel the lighter neck tension with them.

I use a .263 expander mandrel to have less than .002 neck tension as this is in a target rifle. Add the .0005 to the Hornady's bullet diameter and I can feel the extra effort to seat them and they wind up with a very light ring on the bullets from the seating stem.

Sugar Shane

I contacted hornady. Waiting on a reply. Im thinking about trying the Atip stem. I have the eldx stem but it leaves a ring as well

Trending threads