6.5-284 rechamber 6.5-7wsm?

I have a 6.5-284 on a remington 700 short action that the humanity botched I can't even get my slugs close to the lands. I'm thinking either having the chamber end of the barrel cut down and trying again or doing that and clambering it in the 6.5-7mm wsm. Any thoughts and advice for my predicament.

Thanks for your input, sounds like the right idea. It doesn't bother me to single feed but not being able to touch my lands seems to me I could be missing out on my optimum seating depth for bergers

The wsm uses a bigger bolt face than a 284 based cases. Have you thought about a 6.5x47 or 6.5 creedmoor?

I have given both of those some thought, but I'm concerned with how much would need to be cut out of the chamber end of my barrel. I'm hoping to salvage the barrel I already have.

Curious about why you think the bullet has to be touching the lands? My rifle likes the berger at .070 to .100 off. I have had success, at different depths as well, but the hunting VLD likes the jump for some reason. It doesn't bother me though. It is what it is. If it shoots why worry, right?

I wouldn't be concerned with it if the rifle shot consistently under a moa but with 3 different powders and 2 different bullets about 1 1\4 is the best. I know where your coming from though my 7mm likes a .070 jump in vlds and my old 7mm likes them set to the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.