6.5-284 Norma hunting loads 4831 or retumbo

I think you are on the right path. I've had real good results with 58 grains of Retumbo, Fed 210 primer, 140 VLD .005" off the lands. Velocity is about 3000 FPS with 25-1/2" barrel.

When using Retumbo I have found that primer choice makes a difference with velocity, ES, and accuracy. I have had the best results with Federal 210M's in three different rifles.

I've got Fed 210M's back ordered but haven't found any in stock. So far this morning velocity have been around 3000 fps, but with a wider deviation than I saw with 57 grains. That being said I'm tinkering with seating depth too so that may be coming into play. How long should I let the barrel cool between shots to get a consistent test for my loads? I'm waiting around a minute between shots and around ten between three shot groups.

Have you found a load that works yet.. I have been working on a load for the 6.5x284 I built on a savage action.. I have tried H-4831sc,h4350,Retumbo and H1000.. All gave good accuracy but I got more velocity with Rtumbo and H1000.... H4350 was the slowest I don't have a crono so have everything plug into my ballistic calc and validate velocity from my dope.. It works for what I have to work with.. The load I am using right now is 55gr of H1000 with a F215 and .20 off the lands... A really smoking load is 58.5 gr of Retumbo but was getting ejector marks but man did that hit the steel hard and was accurate... Going to play with it and back it down some and see sometime what it will continue to do, but the H1000 load worked for my uncle a few days ago he used it to get his first ever pronghorn.. 386 yards one shot spun a circle and ran maybe 50 yards and slid to a stop a 2 inch exit hole and his lungs were mush...

I don't have any H-1000, but it appears Retumbo is the best for me with two bullets. I'm still working on it, but 56 grains of Retumbo with CCI BR2 primers 96/1000 off the lands is working with the VLD's and 55 grains with 215M is looking good with Hornady ELDX 140 grainers, seated touching the lands. I think I'm going to load a few of each and try them at longer ranges. So far I've been shooting at 200 yards because that's all I have as of now.

Great to hear... Longer ranges are the best test on what they can do.. I was a bit disappointed at 200 with group size around an inch to 3/4 of an inch but I am sure it is me... Took it to 400 and 600 and man the 140 vlds shoot... 2 1/2 inch group of 4 shots at 600... Seating depth didn't seem to matter to much so I just stuck with .20 off..

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts