6.5-284 Norma loads

jimmy10pt

I am a new owner of a Savage FTR-12 in 6.5-284 Norma and am ready to begin load development. This gun has a 30" straight barrel (in case that matters) and I was hoping for a few suggestions. I already have Nosler brass and some 140 gr. Hornady A-Max bullets. I also have H4831 powder. Is there anything I can do with this stuff? Much appreciated!!

Hi Jimmie10point,

Here is some reading:

6.5-284 Cartridge Guide

So far I have only tried H4350, H4831SC, 139 lapua, 142 SMK in a 29 inch krieger barrel.

139 lapua/ H4831sc combo is amazing accurate but didn't perform too well for us on a 575 yard deer last year. It ran about 400 yards into an area that we didn't find before the coyotes got him. No snow, it suct.

I suspect the Amaxes will work much better for that and will be working up a load in a few weeks. I will be working with 140Amax, H4831sc, CCIBR2 primers, Lapua brass. If it shoots bigger than 2 inches at 400, I will then be trying same components with H4350 instead as the powder choice.

H4831 may also work, but I have found H4831sc to work as well or better in the limited cartridges that I have compared it in.

Let us know how you make out.

HPA

After a lot of one shot, clean drills i finally got to work on some loads. I ended up landing on 51.9 grains of H4831sc and am getting 3 rounds almost throug the same hole at 100yds. I also have a 3 shot group at 300yds at just under an inch. I'm still getting used to the gun and trying to hone my precision shooting techniques so maybe I can get it a little tighter. As a side note, I am very impressed with the Bushnell Elite 4200 tactical scope I put on this gun. It is a 6.5-24x50 with a 30mm tube and mil-dot reticle. The turrets track beautifully and it is incredibly bright. For the price this is very nice optics so check it out if u can! Hopefully I'll have some drop data to 800 or 1000yds soon. I'll keep y'all posted. Happy shooting!gun)

4831sc works great for a lot of folks.
I typically use H-4350 with 140 grain bullets.
Glad it is shooting good for you.
E

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.