6.5-284 and twist rates.

smack

In the past I have owned a 6.5-284 with a Schnieder 1-9 twist,It shot the 142 Sierra Mk's great along with the 95gr hornady V-max's.At the time I am haveing one built with a 28" Krieger 1-8 1/2 twist and from what I have read it should shoot the 142's along with the 95's well.I just closed a trade for a 6.5-284(.290) with a 28" Pac-Nor Super Match with a 1-8,Have any of you tried the lighter bullets such as the 95's Etc in a 1-8?

My reason for asking is that I read a post on the GGVG board about a problem with the V-Max's breaking up from a 260AI with a 1-8 twist and his velocities were under 3500..

I would like to hear any input some of you have on the lighter bullets regarding twist rate,1-9,1-8 1/2,1-8 and how they have shot for you.I would like to think that the 95 gr V-max should shoot in a 1-8..

Thanks.
Landon M.

Smack
I have a 6.5 284 With A douglas barrel, mark 10 action with a keplinger two stage trigger, with a mcmillian A2 stock, the douglas barrel has a 1-9 twist and I could never get it to shoot the 140 gr. any thing, but now I got the 129 hornady and the 120 gr. nosler ballistic tips to shoot pretty good. When I have the barrel redone I will most likely go with the 1-8 twist I do beleive that 1-9 will shoot the lighter bullets better than the 1-8 but the 1-8 is what I want because I want to shoot the heavier bullets. I never have shot the 95 grainers though in my gun but I may try them just to see what they do for me. I really do like the 6.5 284 though it is fine catridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.