twist rate for 6.5 06

Okdeerman

I am having a 6.5 06 built for whitetail hunting in the OK panhandle. I hunt a lot in pastures that are fairly wide open and present long shots. I have had numerous opportunities to shoot nice bucks at 700 yds+ but did not feel comfortable taking the shot. My question is, what twist should I get if my intention is to use the rifle mainly for deer hunting with an occasional prairie dog shoot thrown in? I would want to use the lighter, 100g or less bullets for PD and up to 130g for deer. What twist rate would be a good fit for those 2 situations? Thanks

Personally I would run a 1/8 twist. If you are expecting longer shots on deer, I would choose a 140 class bullet for best long range performance, but 130s would also do okay. When I use my hunting rigs for Pdogs, I tend to shoot the same bullet as I do when hunting. No better practice for using dope than shooting tiny targets at long ranges. Great practice for big game season.

For most 130"s a 1in9 would work, but if you want to shoot at longer ranges a 1in 8 for the heavier bullets would be needed. You will want at least 1000 ft/lb of energy for an ethical shot.

Go 1-8 and shoot the 140 Berger HVLD. I shoot this bullet out of my 6.5-284 at 3010 fps. Your 6.5-06 should shoot them at the same speed or very close. Kills whitetails no problem at the ranges you are talking.

Personally I would run a 1/8 twist. If you are expecting longer shots on deer, I would choose a 140 class bullet for best long range performance, but 130s would also do okay. When I use my hunting rigs for Pdogs, I tend to shoot the same bullet as I do when hunting. No better practice for using dope than shooting tiny targets at long ranges. Great practice for big game season.
Using the same bullets for PD and deer is a smart idea

24" barrel. I'm shooting Retumb powder. I am working on a 4831 load now too since my supply of Retumbo is running out.

You should be close to 1000 ft lbs at 900 yards

For longer shots like you listed I'd get a 1-8". That's what I have in my 260 AI and I shoot 145 Barners Match Burners through it. I've been getting danger close to hitting sagerats out to 800 yards with it :)

I would get a 7 twist and shoot the heavies. Get the throat cut longer for the bullet you want....

Has anyone ever done a 6.5"06AI ?
I had to make the same choice, and went with 6.5-284 instead because of factory brass availability. If I were to go through all the work of necking down 30-06 though I'd for sure want the AI version. And why not, you have to neck down anyways so it leaves you the perfect false shoulder for fire forming the AI.