6.5-284 and Retumbo

I see no difference between the two in terms of how clean they burn. Retumbo is a bit slower burn rate and generally will produce higher velicities in my 6.5-284's and 300WM.

Perfect... I want to be closer to 3000, so I will give Retumbo a try

I did initial load development with my 6.5-284 using H4831 and 140 AMAX's. My best load came in @ 52.5 with a slight ejector mark. My 6.5x55 ran step-for-step with it @ 48.2 H4831. My sense is that the 6.5-284 really wants a bit slower powder. Retumbo is on my to do list. It also looks to me like RL-26 may be an ideal choice. I would like to try it, too, if I can get my hands on some.

I did initial load development with my 6.5-284 using H4831 and 140 AMAX's. My best load came in @ 52.5 with a slight ejector mark. My 6.5x55 ran step-for-step with it @ 48.2 H4831. My sense is that the 6.5-284 really wants a bit slower powder. Retumbo is on my to do list. It also looks to me like RL-26 may be an ideal choice. I would like to try it, too, if I can get my hands on some.

Using Retumbo in my 6.5x284's, I have not experienced pressure issues even with a slightly compressed load. While I run 58gr/Fed210 at 2975 out of my 24/26" barrels for my accuracy node in both my rifles, I have been able to get as high as 3050FPS with Fed215's and another .5 gr. However, I would still recommend shooters working loads up due to chamber variations. I would also strongly recommend that 6.5x284 shooters try JLK !40 VLD's when developing loads. They are exceptionally accurate/precise in my rifles and perform very well on game.

max load they said was 59 grains,when we get some better weather I am going to start at 52 grains and go up 1/2 grain to 54 and see what happens.right now 46 grains of RL22 and 210M gives me groups as small as .211 at 140 yards but I have not checked velocity out of my Cooper 22:)

max load they said was 59 grains,when we get some better weather I am going to start at 52 grains and go up 1/2 grain to 54 and see what happens.right now 46 grains of RL22 and 210M gives me groups as small as .211 at 140 yards but I have not checked velocity out of my Cooper 22:)

That's pretty much dead on with Bergers info for their pletheral of 140 pills... 55.5 Min @ 2704 and 58.5 Max @ 2865... This is tested with a 26" Barrel

Look at Reloder 26, you can add 100-200fps without pressure. It is really unbelievable. As more people use it the results will come but most people think that you are going to blow your gun up. Really, it is a totally different type of powder.

Look at Reloder 26, you can add 100-200fps without pressure. It is really unbelievable. As more people use it the results will come but most people think that you are going to blow your gun up. Really, it is a totally different type of powder.

Found this over at accurate shooters. If data is good to go then Retumbo will be knocked off its perch as #1 for a lot of calibers....I've already seen good results in my 300RUM and switch over on this gun but I may have to switch the 6.5 as well. Here is the link. I suspect Wedgy has seen this already or its just coincidence. Also looks like RL 23 will be good to go from the article.

6.5x.284 and RE=26 | Shooters' Forum

How is the temperature stability of Reloader 26?

I really can't add to much on the temp stability issue as we barely dipped into the 50's last night. Most of my load work ups are in the 80's
Reloder 26 is also superb in the .243 adding a ton of velocity.

I did a test last year with RL26 in a 6.5-06 AI. 58 grains with a 140 vld and 210M primer.

I took 3 rounds and put them in the freezer over night and left 3 rounds in my house.

Also left the rifle in the truck overnight and it was about 5 degrees.

The next morning I took the 3 out of the freezer and put them on ice in a cooler and took 3 warm rounds from the house and put those on the defroster of my truck as I drove to the range.

When I got to the range I put the frozen founds on the bench with the gun (it was between 5 and 10 degrees) went down and placed my target.

I left the truck running with the other 3 rounds on the defroster vent with the heat on high.

Then I shot the 3 frozen rounds, waited a minute or two so the rifle would be warm but not hot and shot the 3 heated rounds.

I had a 14 fps average difference between the frozen and heated rounds. POI was great also, no change. Only testing I did but the same test revealed a 100 fps difference in a 6.5 creedmoor with RL17 and Ramshot Hunter.
H4350 was about 10 fps if I remember correctly.

If I had to guess I would say the cold rounds were between 0 and 10 degrees and the heated rounds were between 85 and 90 degrees (they were very warm in my hand)

I will do a similar test in the 7 mag this winter and see how it works with more powder and a 215 primer.

Hope that helps a little.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.