6.5-06?

I chose to just neck down and trim 270 brass for mine since I also shoot a 25-06 & 30-06,I don't have to worry about mixing up the brass. I also have never tried pushing my loads to the limits on this gun,at the ranges that I use it to hunt with,there's no need for extreme speeds.
My target guns are a different story,I see just how far I can take them and still be very accurate.

I chose to just neck down and trim 270 brass for mine since I also shoot a 25-06 & 30-06,I don't have to worry about mixing up the brass. I also have never tried pushing my loads to the limits on this gun,at the ranges that I use it to hunt with,there's no need for extreme speeds.
My target guns are a different story,I see just how far I can take them and still be very accurate.
Way back when I had a .25-06 and when contemplating a 6.5-06 I opted for the AI version so there would be NO CONFUSION about which cartridge was for which gun.

My Kreigher barrel lasted 1,792 rounds lost at least one 140 gr SMK at a 600 yard F-class match. Kept shooting it until the last two bullets blew up on the way to the 200 yard line. It was really toast...

I got 2,200 rounds out of my 6.5 Remington Magnum similar case capacity, but I kept shooting that barrel until I was missing a 8.5x11 inch target at 100 yards. That was E.R Shaw barrel. Really, really toast...

Great Cartridge

I shoot the 6.5-06 in a700 long action with a26" 8.5 twist #3 brux, chrome moly barrel. It's the lightest contour that Norm would cut the interrupted fluting on, and only on the chrome moly at that time. I fought the 130 scirocco with n560 at first, then switched to the 120ttsx. 3210fps with the 120 ttsx and n560 is no joke. I won't even tell you the charge weight, it's so far beyond what you'll find in manuals to get the velocity.

I also tried the 127 Lrx but no luck there; just oblong holes. Should have done the 8 twist! When I had the gun built, components were in short supply and 6.5x284 brass was nowhere to be found, but I can easily use 25-06 or 270, and 30-06 with some work. I do have 50 rounds of lapua 30-06 that was a lot of work, stepping down the neck, trimming and turning. I hate turning with my k&m neck Turner. 270 seems to be the best brass for me.
My original goal was a hunting rifle with a 24" barrel to match the performance of my 26" 260 match rifle, although my gunsmith did me a favor by finishing at 26". Did I meet my goal, yes, and I really like the cartridge, the feeding, the relatively low recoil, etc.
Starting over a decade later, being that I'm in CA wanting a deer/ coyote/ hog rifle with the non lead bullets, would I choose the same cartridge, I'm not sure. I'll have to kill some more pigs and get back to you on that. BTW if you know any ranchers or farmers in CA looking to thin out the hogs, please let me know! I need more test subjects but just can't bring myself to shell out $700 for a 1 hog guided hunt...

I will have to agree with some of the people here.. 6.5-06 is a wonderful round, I can not say if the AI 6.5-06 is better, but I do know about the 6.5-06, I have had many friends that shot them. I have shot many of their rifles just for fun and once because I lost my spare ammo on a hunt. I can say this.. absolutely stunning accuracy, nice recoil, and hits just like any other fast moving 6.5 I have ever seen. it's a great choice if you like the 6.5MM.

I shoot the 6.5-06 in a700 long action with a26" 8.5 twist #3 brux, chrome moly barrel. It's the lightest contour that Norm would cut the interrupted fluting on, and only on the chrome moly at that time. I fought the 130 scirocco with n560 at first, then switched to the 120ttsx. 3210fps with the 120 ttsx and n560 is no joke. I won't even tell you the charge weight, it's so far beyond what you'll find in manuals to get the velocity.

I also tried the 127 Lrx but no luck there; just oblong holes. Should have done the 8 twist! When I had the gun built, components were in short supply and 6.5x284 brass was nowhere to be found, but I can easily use 25-06 or 270, and 30-06 with some work. I do have 50 rounds of lapua 30-06 that was a lot of work, stepping down the neck, trimming and turning. I hate turning with my k&m neck Turner. 270 seems to be the best brass for me.
My original goal was a hunting rifle with a 24" barrel to match the performance of my 26" 260 match rifle, although my gunsmith did me a favor by finishing at 26". Did I meet my goal, yes, and I really like the cartridge, the feeding, the relatively low recoil, etc.
Starting over a decade later, being that I'm in CA wanting a deer/ coyote/ hog rifle with the non lead bullets, would I choose the same cartridge, I'm not sure. I'll have to kill some more pigs and get back to you on that. BTW if you know any ranchers or farmers in CA looking to thin out the hogs, please let me know! I need more test subjects but just can't bring myself to shell out $700 for a 1 hog guided hunt...
We are covered up with hogs in Mississippi they are everywhere like cockroaches

I just sold my 6.506ai 2 weeks ago.27"+ brake 7.5twist for the 150smk's. With Rl26 I was sending 147's @ 3120 and 150smk's @ 3110 both were single-digit ES and both were coated with Danzac. The AI version keeps the brass more stable once you fireform it. It also looks cool:cool:

I just sold my 6.506ai 2 weeks ago.27"+ brake 7.5twist for the 150smk's. With Rl26 I was sending 147's @ 3120 and 150smk's @ 3110 both were single-digit ES and both were coated with Danzac. The AI version keeps the brass more stable once you fireform it. It also looks cool:cool:

Si

m0dCTCw.jpg

I have experience with one 6.5-06 Ackley. It was a24 inch 8 twist shillen barrel on a sako action, purchased by my buddy from this forum. Nice handling rifle, sub MOA with the 140Amax, and everything we shot with it died the same way, hunched up, then face planted dead in the dirt right on the spot, from under 100 and out just over 400 yards. The powder was RL22, and as I recall the rifle was throated long. I did some of the load development, and it struck me odd that it took a bit more powder to achieve the 6.5-06 book velocity, maybe slightly more but certainly not 3000 in that particular rifle. It didn't seem like it gained much if anything from the Ackley chamber and long throat, but maybe we missed something...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.